Recurring Transactions Problems

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

JoyceAE
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Recurring Transactions Problems

Post by JoyceAE »

I am using version 1.2.0-Beta.2 and am having problems with the Recurring Transactions. My list of recurring transactions is longer than what appears on the screen so I have to scroll the list to navigate the list. I am experiencing the following 2 problems:

1) Even though my transactions are future-dated, when I enter them they revert to the current date. They should use the future date.

2) When I enter a transaction from the top of the list, the focus still remains on the transaction I just entered. The focus should jump to the next entry at the top of the list. Because of this problem, the same transaction can be entered multiple times.

The Recurring Transaction function was working properly in version 0.9.9.0.

How can I fix this so that the transactions are entered with the proper dates and the focus is set properly after entry? This is a real problem!

Joyce

P.S. I noticed that others have been having this problem as well. There was a reference to using a button on the Recurring Transactions screen where you can specify to use the Payment Date rather than the Current Date. This would be worthwhile if it was an option at the database level rather than for each recurring transaction. Also, if I click on a given transaction and specify it to use the Payment Date will that option remain set for each  time the recurring entry is entered or do I have to do it every time?
Nikolay
MMEX Developer

Re: Recurring Transactions Problems

Post by Nikolay »

This issue will be fixed in 1.2.1 release.

The bug has been registered:
http://sourceforge.net/p/moneymanagerex/bugs/679/
Dennisg15
New MMEX User

Post by Dennisg15 »

I would like a "fortnightly" occurrence because "bimonthly" is ineffective. There are 26 fortnights and two months every have 3 fortnightly intervals. How do we get over this?
:(
Fishinjim
New MMEX User

Post by Fishinjim »

I can not get the recurring transactions to recognize social security income. This is on Win 7. When I put U.S. Treasury as payee, it defaults to the #1 payee in my list.
I need to overcome this before I can go any farther.
mfarmilo
New MMEX User

Post by mfarmilo »

Dennisg15 wrote: I would like a "fortnightly" occurrence because "bimonthly" is ineffective. There are 26 fortnights and two months every have 3 fortnightly intervals. How do we get over this?
:(
I would have thought you could just say every 14 days ?
mfarmilo
New MMEX User

Post by mfarmilo »

JoyceAE wrote:I am using version 1.2.0-Beta.2 and am having problems with the Recurring Transactions. My list of recurring transactions is longer than what appears on the screen so I have to scroll the list to navigate the list. I am experiencing the following 2 problems:

1) Even though my transactions are future-dated, when I enter them they revert to the current date. They should use the future date.

2) When I enter a transaction from the top of the list, the focus still remains on the transaction I just entered. The focus should jump to the next entry at the top of the list. Because of this problem, the same transaction can be entered multiple times.

The Recurring Transaction function was working properly in version 0.9.9.0.

How can I fix this so that the transactions are entered with the proper dates and the focus is set properly after entry? This is a real problem!

Joyce

P.S. I noticed that others have been having this problem as well. There was a reference to using a button on the Recurring Transactions screen where you can specify to use the Payment Date rather than the Current Date. This would be worthwhile if it was an option at the database level rather than for each recurring transaction. Also, if I click on a given transaction and specify it to use the Payment Date will that option remain set for each  time the recurring entry is entered or do I have to do it every time?
I'm also seeing this issue - everything (whether it's meant to be past or future dated) gets posted as today's date. I'm using version 1.2.1 though, currently the latest. I saw a reference in the bug tracker to turning on 'Use original date when pasting transactions', but turning it on doesn't change the behaviour.
Stonyjohn
New MMEX User

Post by Stonyjohn »

Nikolay wrote:This issue will be fixed in 1.2.1 release.

I'm using version 1.2.1, and this problem still exists.

I know it doesn't make any difference with this bug, but initially I was confused between the repeating entries "Payment Date" and " Due Date". You have always referred to the date a transaction is entered onto the account listing as "Date Applied". May I suggest this be used instead. Payment date and due date really mean the same thing.

I look forward to the next version with eager anticipation.
mfarmilo
New MMEX User

Post by mfarmilo »

Stonyjohn wrote:
Nikolay wrote:This issue will be fixed in 1.2.1 release.

I'm using version 1.2.1, and this problem still exists.

I know it doesn't make any difference with this bug, but initially I was confused between the repeating entries "Payment Date" and " Due Date". You have always referred to the date a transaction is entered onto the account listing as "Date Applied". May I suggest this be used instead. Payment date and due date really mean the same thing.

I look forward to the next version with eager anticipation.
Hi - have you worked out the meaning of the 2 dates then ? I still haven't a clue myself. Of course it doesn't help when the program appears to ignore both of them anyway when actually inserting the transaction.
Stonyjohn
New MMEX User

Post by Stonyjohn »

As I understand it, "Due Date" is the date the payment is required, and the "Payment Date" is the date the transaction is entered onto the account listing - formerly "Date Applied".

To me, this feature is one of the most important in MMEX. I always look at the Repeating Transactions listing first and if there are any whose due date is less than one month away (looking to the future), I right-click it and select "Enter next Occurrence". That places the transaction onto the account listing - in grey showing it to be in the future. So, at any time I look at the account listing I can see at a glance how my finances are going. If, for instance, a negative balance shows up for sometime during the following month, I make adjustments by carrying out transfers between accounts, or anything else that's relevant.

Therefore, looking at the grey (future) transactions on an account listing is an instant way of showing the position. If I opted for the automatic insertion of repeating transactions on their due dates, this forecasting would be impossible.

The new feature of version 1.2.1, allowing me to "enter the next occurrence" automatically one month in advance by setting the "Payment Date" one month in ahead of the "Due Date", would be perfect. However, by changing the transaction date to the present date shows the payment having been made one month early, and doesn't show in grey for a future transaction. In other words, I have had to revert to my old way of doing it manually to achieve the desired result.

To me, transactions showing in black as having been made, is nothing more than a historic record. The grey items at the bottom of the account listing is much more important. Forecasting a month in advance is essential, so the new automatic feature is useless.
mfarmilo
New MMEX User

Post by mfarmilo »

Stonyjohn wrote:As I understand it, "Due Date" is the date the payment is required, and the "Payment Date" is the date the transaction is entered onto the account listing - formerly "Date Applied".

To me, this feature is one of the most important in MMEX. I always look at the Repeating Transactions listing first and if there are any whose due date is less than one month away (looking to the future), I right-click it and select "Enter next Occurrence". That places the transaction onto the account listing - in grey showing it to be in the future. So, at any time I look at the account listing I can see at a glance how my finances are going. If, for instance, a negative balance shows up for sometime during the following month, I make adjustments by carrying out transfers between accounts, or anything else that's relevant.

Therefore, looking at the grey (future) transactions on an account listing is an instant way of showing the position. If I opted for the automatic insertion of repeating transactions on their due dates, this forecasting would be impossible.

The new feature of version 1.2.1, allowing me to "enter the next occurrence" automatically one month in advance by setting the "Payment Date" one month in ahead of the "Due Date", would be perfect. However, by changing the transaction date to the present date shows the payment having been made one month early, and doesn't show in grey for a future transaction. In other words, I have had to revert to my old way of doing it manually to achieve the desired result.

To me, transactions showing in black as having been made, is nothing more than a historic record. The grey items at the bottom of the account listing is much more important. Forecasting a month in advance is essential, so the new automatic feature is useless.
Snap ! I also use the recurring transactions for the same thing, to avoid future mishaps. Not sure what you mean about the bottom of the transaction list (future items) being grey though - in my list everything is the same colour.

I've also had to go back to V. 1.1.2, because in V. 1.2.1 all recurring transactions get posted with today's date instead of the transaction date, so I have to manually compare them all afterwards to find what date they were supposed to have been posted with.