Importing QIF

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

CyberWizard
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Importing QIF

Post by CyberWizard »

I've been using an Android application called anMoney for some time and I'm trying to migrate to Money Manager EX. I love the idea that it's Open Source and I'm hoping that it fits my needs. In installed 1.2.2 on a 64bit Windows 8.1 machine this morning. 

I've exported my entire account from my previous application as QIF but when I imported it into MMEX, all of the balances were wrong. I figured that it was just an issue with having all accounts in one QIF so I exported each account separately as it's own QIF. Once I had imported them I got the same result. The balances were off by tens of thousands. I imported everything again using CSV and my balances were correct but transfers, of course, were now just debits and credits and not actual transfers.

In tinkering I've found that when I import a QIF file all transfer transactions turn up as outbound transfers in every case regardless of positive or negative values.

My QIF files seem to have  the correct markup but they don't import correctly.

Code: Select all

!Account
NChequing
TBank
^
!Type:Bank
D07/31/2007
T573.25
CX
POpening Balance
L[Chequing]
^
D07/31/2007
CX
T-398.91
PTRANSFER
L[TD Powerline]

The transaction above imported just fine, but a transaction that involves a transfer from another account, as opposed to a transfer to an account, also turns up as a withdrawal.

Code: Select all

^
D07/20/2008
CX
T1500
PTRANSFER
L[TD Powerline]
NDEP

It seems like I must be missing something but I can't seem to figure out just what it is. If anyone has any advice I'll gladly take it.
Nikolay
MMEX Developer

Re: Importing QIF

Post by Nikolay »

Mmex does not support 
POpening Balance
Tag.
I suggest to delet the first transaction in the account and change the account init balance.
Catman
New MMEX User

Post by Catman »

I've been evaluating MMEX 1.2.2 to replace MS Money and have also found the same problem with the transfers in a QIF all being incorrectly
imported as withdrawals irrespective of wether they are deposits or withdrawals so I think there may be a bug in the import routine.
The following may help explain.

This is the test account in MS Money I which I would expect to be replicated in MMEX after import

I then exported the data from the account as a QIF file. Following
Nikolay's reply to Cyberwizard I deleted the first transaction in the
QIF that contained the unsupported POpening balance tag which gave the
following data in the QIF file. 

!Type:Bank
D25/08'2015
T100.00
PPayee 1
^
D25/08'2015
T-10.00
Ppayee 2
^
D25/08'2015
T-25.00
L[Test Bank 2 Savings]
^
D25/08'2015
T15.00
L[Test Bank 2 Savings]
^

Importing the QIF into MMEX gave the following in Test Bank 1

and in Test Bank 2

As you can see in Test Bank 1,  the £15 deposit (ID 3) has been incorrectly imported as a £15 withdrawal with the corresponding
transaction created in Test Bank 2 being incorrectly made as a deposit not a withdrawal.
Though ID4 has been correctly imported into Test Bank 1 as a £25 withdrawal, the corresponding transaction in Test bank 2 has been incorrectly created as a withdrawal not as a deposit.
Having tried several permutations and different data sets, the results are the same:
1 - All Transfer Transactions (both deposits and withdrawals) in the QIF file are imported into the account as withdrawals.
2  - The corresponding transactions created by MMEX in the accounts where the Transfers came from, or went too, are reversed ie Withdrawals are
created as deposits and deposits get created as withdrawals.

As an aside, I also tried leaving in the POpening balance tag in the QIF file - it made no difference to the above results.

I hope the above is helpful as MMEX looks to have a lot of potential but as I have a lot of existing data to import and as MS Money only exports
as QIF, I would need this resolved before I can move over to MMEX.
Nikolay
MMEX Developer

Post by Nikolay »

It seems a bug. Thank you for reporting this.
Catman
New MMEX User

Post by Catman »

No problem, I'm happy to test any fix.
frankmcc
New MMEX User

Post by frankmcc »

It's a year later since this problem was posted and I'm experiencing the same thing.  Has this been corrected or is there a workaround?
DavidR
New MMEX User

Post by DavidR »

I have just tested 1.3.0-RC.1 RELEASE and it has the same problem reported here with Transfers. Is the bug still outstanding?
giovanni
New MMEX User

Post by giovanni »

I confirm this bug is still here.

Tested with v1.3.0-RC1 on November 2016, 22th
IF the file contains only transfer with negativ values, the transfer appears in "withdrawl" on both side, which is wrong.
IF the file contains only transfer with positiv values, they are not inserted, and don't throw exception.
IF the file contains transfer with positiv AND negativ values: seems to work as expected.

Tested with v1.3.1 on January 2017, 9th
Same behavior as above, nothing changed.

Ticket on sourceforge:
#774 QIF transfers all import as expense (closed, but problem still exists) https://sourceforge.net/p/moneymanagerex/bugs/774/
#932 The way MME handle transfers in QIF file is... surprising! (open) https://sourceforge.net/p/moneymanagerex/bugs/932/
Nikolay
MMEX Developer

Post by Nikolay »

giovanni
New MMEX User

Post by giovanni »

Just tested latest build and now it works as expected.
Some transfer transactions are marked as duplicate.
It's ok when the logic beyond this is: I imported the same transfer A to B, first time when importing account A transactions and second time when importing account B transactions. But whitch fields are actually involved when matching transactions? Date, amount, any others?
It could be useful for all transaction not only transfer, just for reconciliation purpose.
For example, when expenses are manually inserted day by day, it will be useful import the monthly statement just to reconcile balance.
It should be possible to process all duplicate transactions in one account, delete them and mark as reconciled the original one.