Android MMEX v2023.12.01.1002 release

MMEX4Android: Manage your finances on-the-go, encrypted for security, sync via your own cloud

Moderator: Renato

Bingbong26
New User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: Android MMEX v2023.12.01.1002 release

Post by Bingbong26 »

I had an issue where we both submitted transactions without syncing. Then I synced her transaction, then on my phone synced my transaction, and then closed the app on both phones and reopened the app to trigger it to pull down the latest, and they both only showed the transactions that each phone submitted itself. So I reopened the database on her phone and then it pulled the transaction that I submitted and the one she submitted was lost.

After this I was going to try to recreate it and test it some more, but I couldn't get her phone to open that database. I opened the app and it asks to create an account because it's got the local database open and not nextclouds. So I went to open, other, then selected the database as before through the nextcloud option in the file explorer, and it did nothing, just returning me to the same screen showing the local database open and requesting I make an account. This happened a couple of days ago as well then it just started working. So I cleared the storage of the app and deleted the local database. Reopened the app as a fresh install basically, and still could not get it to open the nextcloud database. My phone still access's it fine.

So maybe nextcloud just will not work with this app perhaps? At least not reliably anyway.

Edit: I just cleared storage on my phone for the mmex app and now I also cannot open the nextcloud database file. Upon selecting it, the app spits me back to the main screen asking me to open an existing dB or create a new one.
guanlisheng
Developer

Post by guanlisheng »

The proper expectation is to apply the changes in sequence, then pull from/push to cloud storage in-time. Hard to guarantee the acid in cloud storage. Hence, one transaction missing here is expected .

You are the second guy to report the malformed issue. Might be due to some wal log. Will take a deeper look.
Lisheng Guan,
Developer of MoneyManagerEX (http://moneymanagerex.org)
pdelamotar
Senior User

Post by pdelamotar »

Hello, I am using a translator so it may be difficult to understand, thank you very much for the contribution, I needed it.

I use mega for synchronization and when it comes to synchronizing it works perfectly, the problem is that when you open a database of data, it does not open the original database, but rather creates a copy in another path, so, when you make a modification in ammex, the file you are synchronizing is not modified, but rather the copy created by ammex is modified.

red: copy created by ammex

green: original file
DELAMOTA
Renato
MVP User

Post by Renato »

If I read this post, then it should be possible to do without the DB copy and open the original DB multiple times without this causing conflicts.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/103 ... onnections

Whether this also solves the cloud problems (synchronization), I doubt it.

I prefer this solution: viewtopic.php?p=24414#p24414
If you don't want to leave the PC switched on at home, then you can possibly use the (not so secure) NAS function of the router.
Renato Forum Administrator
guanlisheng
Developer

Post by guanlisheng »

android has no posix interface to "mount" these cloud storage as a folder
Snip20231207_3.png
Snip20231207_3.png (95.68 KiB) Viewed 160770 times
Lisheng Guan,
Developer of MoneyManagerEX (http://moneymanagerex.org)
mmguy
New User

Post by mmguy »

guanlisheng wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:04 pm android has no posix interface to "mount" these cloud storage as a folder
Indeed, that's why Syncthing I mentioned earlier was a good alternative because it syncs your basic folder inside the android file manager. No external Cloud Storage to mount. I see you asked me in this thread viewtopic.php?p=24497 to share some configuration, but really it is quite basic, sure it has a little learning curve compared to other cloud solutions.

When I have time I will post my use case in that thread.

@Renato yes, my first post had a link to Syncthing so that's why it has been removed, I suppose.
TobiD
New User

Post by TobiD »

Syncthing works for me good too. :)
KenK
New User

Post by KenK »

guanlisheng wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:06 am
just rolled out ... enabling auto-sync of the last opened database on app open if there is no conflict. ... @KenK , appreciated if you can have a try.
I tried V2023.12.12.1005. Still crashes when I select a tx, or try to add a new one. I would not mind sharing my obscured .mmb file with a developer, but not with the world! @guanlisheng how can I get it to you?
TobiD
New User

Post by TobiD »

"...not mind sharing my obscured .mmb file with a developer, but not with the world!..."
Understandable. :lol:

Thanks to both of you.

That manually sync at the end/on change and opening in the beginning procedure is the most annoying thing so far.

Have a good day everyone. ;)
jkambb
New User

Post by jkambb »

I am using syncthing, but it works not really stable. Sometimes It causes conflict file, as old problem when editing mmex data file among devices.
mmguy wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:00 pm
guanlisheng wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:04 pm android has no posix interface to "mount" these cloud storage as a folder
Indeed, that's why Syncthing I mentioned earlier was a good alternative because it syncs your basic folder inside the android file manager. No external Cloud Storage to mount. I see you asked me in this thread viewtopic.php?p=24497 to share some configuration, but really it is quite basic, sure it has a little learning curve compared to other cloud solutions.

When I have time I will post my use case in that thread.

@Renato yes, my first post had a link to Syncthing so that's why it has been removed, I suppose.
adamchap
New User

Post by adamchap »

Syncthing here for me too - running on my Synology NAS; using SyncThing Fork on my Android to sync over there. SyncTrayzor for Windows makes going to/from a desktop environment much easier, too.
KenK
New User

Post by KenK »

KenK wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:53 pm crashes when I select a tx, or try to add a new one
@guanlisheng, thank you for identifying the problem causing this (if anyone's interested, it was the date format).
Sadly, in less that an hour of playing with syncing test databases, I managed to get Onedrive to complain of two conflicts, and once in the app itself. No doubt they were induced by my carelessness, but they've put me off. I'd be certain to do it again (whatever "it" was).
Good luck with the app, I like it and I'll keep watching its development.
guanlisheng
Developer

Post by guanlisheng »

sorry to see your case, and the synchronization would work fine if you modified and performed synchronization in time on every device and platform.

Would you mind sharing your detailed operations in a time sequence?

One drive is MMEX’s most popular cloud storage based on votes so far.
pdelamotar
Senior User

Post by pdelamotar »

KenK wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:59 pm
KenK wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:53 pm crashes when I select a tx, or try to add a new one
@guanlisheng, thank you for identifying the problem causing this (if anyone's interested, it was the date format).
Sadly, in less that an hour of playing with syncing test databases, I managed to get Onedrive to complain of two conflicts, and once in the app itself. No doubt they were induced by my carelessness, but they've put me off. I'd be certain to do it again (whatever "it" was).
Good luck with the app, I like it and I'll keep watching its development.
If you're using the latest version, because so far I haven't had any problems syncing with Google Drive, now I'm going to do the same procedure with Mega which is my favorite for me because I can sync directly with my files
DELAMOTA
KenK
New User

Post by KenK »

guanlisheng wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:01 am sorry to see your case, and the synchronization would work fine if you modified and performed synchronization in time on every device and platform.

Would you mind sharing your detailed operations in a time sequence?

One drive is MMEX’s most popular cloud storage based on votes so far.
Sorry, I didn't keep track of the sequence. I'm sure it would work fine, if I was careful; but I think that would be my problem.
gregcap
Senior User

Post by gregcap »

THANK YOU Lisheng.

I have long been hoping for good news about a non-obsolete Android version with 3-way synchronization (PC-smartphone-cloud).
Cautiously (I don't have much experience) I will try to install it on my Samsung S9 phone and do some testing to give, if I can, a contribution.

Anyway, it is a GREAT start.

THANK YOU again for creating the app and good work.
guanlisheng
Developer

Post by guanlisheng »

today, it is pretty close to what you think
gregcap
Senior User

Post by gregcap »

Hi, the diagram you propose is not completely clear to me, could you explain in more detail ?
which are the parts already working and those in development ? Which arrows do the numbers 1. 2. 3. on the right of the diagram refer to ? what does Amplitude have to do with it ? GA4 ? DO/vps ?
this is then an internal architecture ?
wouldn't it be possible to have:
- an end user side architecture to date
- a "target" end user side architecture ?
as well as related sequences of operations and cautions to be observed ((e.g. when to manually synchronize) ?

More in general, what is the difference between local mmb and remote mmb ? when I open the local file an area of working "not accessible" is allocated that I have to synchronize manually ( bidirectional green arrow ) ? what does the bidirectional green arrow Syncthing represent then ?
NB:
With the latest installed version of MMEX mobile Android and with Dropbox it seems to me that manual synchronization works, although several cautions have to be taken to avoid anomalous or irregular behavior.
Looking at this diagram however I had a doubt and before I send the detail of my experiments I ask you if I have not made a mistake upstream, in the sense that I have allocated my database on Dropbox and access it alternately from Windows or Android in an attempt to use the synchronization of the cloud platform: it seems to me now that the proposed architecture is completely different what do you say ?
guanlisheng
Developer

Post by guanlisheng »

in terms of 'database'. we can focus on the bottom of the arch, and it is self-explanatory when you get familiar with MMEX4Desktop and MMEX4Android

The original arch post is here