Non-user question

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

ramack
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Non-user question

Post by ramack »

I've recently found MMEx and have a couple question for users.

Is MMEX a zero-base budgeting package?

Is the budgeting a envelope type budget system?

Thanks,
Last edited by ramack on Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nikolay
MMEX Developer

Re: Non-user question

Post by Nikolay »

How does the budget work in MMEX? For each (or selectively) categories you set spending limits or required income.
During a given period (year or month), you make sure that the actual spending by category does not go beyond the budget.

http://github.moneymanagerex.org/moneym ... udget.html
Renato
MVP MMEX User

Post by Renato »

Here are some opinions about envelope type budget system:
https://www.doughroller.net/budgeting/7 ... ible-idea/
Renato Forum Administrator
ramack
New MMEX User

Post by ramack »

Renato wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:07 am Here are some opinions about envelope type budget system:
https://www.doughroller.net/budgeting/7 ... ible-idea/
Renato,

Yes, I've seen doughroller's site, he's not an advocate of the "envelope" system. Most of his criticism is about a system that uses physical envelopes, not software that uses the concept. He does reference 4 options, but only one (YNAB) uses the concept. It's really not that difficult of a concept, don't spend more than you make. I've used Quick, MS Money and Money Matters(DOS package) the envelope method is my favorite/preference. I came across MMEX and thought I'd take a look at it.

Thanks
Nikolay
MMEX Developer

Post by Nikolay »

If you accept the categories as envelopes, you will get an analog of YNAB.
  • Automobile
    Bills
    Education
    Food
    Gifts
    Healthcare
    Homeneeds
    Income
    Insurance
    Leisure
    Miscellaneous
    Other Expenses
    Other Income
    Taxes
    Transfer
    Vacation
Sample.
I had planned 100 as a car expense, but the repairs were more expensive. This is marked with a red cross. In other cases, the expenses are less than planned. It's okay.
budget2.png
budget2.png (225.88 KiB) Viewed 2737 times
pachobv
New MMEX User

Post by pachobv »

Hello Guys,

I've set up a budget for most of my categories but there is a huge problem with MMEX... The budget doesn't roll up...

Here is my case...

In February I added a monthly expense 150USD to my Automobile Budget that didn't use (I plan to do a major improvements in a few months and want to have the money available), it shows in the Actual Column those 150USD in both YEAR and MONTH Budget and that's perfect, that said... If on March the 1st I add another 150USD I should have available 300USD for my Automobile category for that month, right? Well that doesn't happen... How am I supposed to know how much I have available in a few months (in May I should have about 600USD) if the budget doesn't roll up from month to month?

BTW I used YNAB before and that was how Budget worked and I LOVED IT!!! I could knew if I had to pay "over the budget" expenses and how much money I saved from month to month on different categories.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, MMEX doesn't have the ability of rolling up budgets or maybe there is something wrong with my installation.
Last edited by pachobv on Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nikolay
MMEX Developer

Post by Nikolay »

1) You need to understand that mmex develops spontaneously. There is no author dominance here. Many different suggestions from users are translated into code or rejected. Sometimes some suggestions are ignored, because developers do not find inspiration and time.
2) Initially, there was only an annual budget. Someone suggested making a monthly budget. And someone made this feature.

As I see it, at the end of the month, such a budget loses its meaning.
Nikolay
MMEX Developer

Post by Nikolay »

I want to clarify that at the moment, budgets live their own lives. It would probably be nice if there was an annual budget initially, and the monthly budgets would specify a specific month.