recording a split transaction

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

petrus1928
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

recording a split transaction

Post by petrus1928 »

eGreetings from sunny Queensland. Here in Oz, businesses have come up with a creative way to help customers cope with the demise of bank branches in smaller communities. It's called 'cash out'. When paying by card, a customer can ask for a sum of money in cash. That amount is added to the purchase and the cash given as change. Example - purchase total $120.00, cash out $50. $170.00 charged to card, and $50 returned to customer in cash. Maybe something similar happens elsewhere. I've tried several ways of recording a cash out transaction as a split transaction without success, and eventually recording it as separate transactions. Firstly a transfer of $170 from card account to cash account, then a separate $120 cash purchase. I'm probably missing something quite simple, so this nonagenarian would appreciate some guidance from more experienced users. Thanks in anticipation. Peter
whall3y
MMEX Developer

Re: recording a split transaction

Post by whall3y »

For this I would record two transactions against the account being debited, both with the same Payee.

1. $120 as a withdrawal for what was purchased
2. $50 as a transfer to the cash account.
petrus1928
New MMEX User

Post by petrus1928 »

Thanks for the quick response. I appreciate it. It's what I'm currently doing. I was wondering if there was an easy way to streanline it into a single transaction.
whall3y
MMEX Developer

Post by whall3y »

petrus1928 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:13 am I was wondering if there was an easy way to streanline it into a single transaction.
Not really (at present), as you have found transfers are not part of the split transaction functionality.