Most useful fixes and features this year?

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

dbolton
Super MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Most useful fixes and features this year?

Post by dbolton »

As a user, what improvements to Money Manager Ex this year did you find the most valuable?

I'm working on an article for the homepage and wanted to gather perspectives beyond my own.
mikhailo2608ilaol
New MMEX User

Re: Most useful fixes and features this year?

Post by mikhailo2608ilaol »

In my opinion, the most useful improvement to MMEX in the last 12 months is the introduction of the ability to edit multiple transactions. I always need to change categories of some of the imported transactions after my monthly (QIF) download of my credit card transactions and the multiple edit facility makes this process so much faster than before.

The change that was made in the Transaction Filter to use user specified names for the saved filters (list boxes ?) rather than numbered buttons is also useful in that it makes it much faster to find the saved filter (query) you were looking for.

The introduction of the All Transactions option at the top of the navigation tree is helpful to me in that it gives me a more detailed "at a glance" insight into my most recent spending than the "Top Withdrawals - Last 30 days" windows gives on the Home screen. Admittedly it was possible to accomplish the same thing with the Transaction Filter under Reports but this now requires much less effort.

I like the introduction of the Theme Manager into MMEX. I will be the first to point out that this is eye candy but I find the yellow-blue option to be extremely relaxing and helps to keep me less anxious while I am working on my finances within MMEX.

Have a great day.
Nikolay
MMEX Developer

Post by Nikolay »

mikhailo2608ilaol wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:24 pm In my opinion, the most useful improvement to MMEX in the last 12 months is the introduction of the ability to edit multiple transactions. I always need to change categories of some of the imported transactions after my monthly (QIF) download of my credit card transactions and the multiple edit facility makes this process so much faster than before.

The change that was made in the Transaction Filter to use user specified names for the saved filters (list boxes ?) rather than numbered buttons is also useful in that it makes it much faster to find the saved filter (query) you were looking for.

The introduction of the All Transactions option at the top of the navigation tree is helpful to me in that it gives me a more detailed "at a glance" insight into my most recent spending than the "Top Withdrawals - Last 30 days" windows gives on the Home screen. Admittedly it was possible to accomplish the same thing with the Transaction Filter under Reports but this now requires much less effort.

I like the introduction of the Theme Manager into MMEX. I will be the first to point out that this is eye candy but I find the yellow-blue option to be extremely relaxing and helps to keep me less anxious while I am working on my finances within MMEX.

Have a great day.
A wonderful review. Thanks.
nydi
New MMEX User

Post by nydi »

Hi, new user here so ignore any stupid suggestion :D

Have you ever thought of adding APIs for plugins? This could really increase the number of collaborators and allow some application-specific logic to be implemented without adding complexity to the main program.

Actually i'm writing a quick&dirty program to transform the output CSVs of my bank+paypal to be more compatible with the current import functionality, in particular what I have noticed is:
  • No way to skip a row if the value was already added (for example using transaction ids/guids)
  • No way to import values with different currencies
  • No way to add synonyms to the types (transfer/deposit/withdrawl) to someway automate the import
Anyway I'm liking what i'm seeing, I will definitely give more feedback when I have more experience of using it :)