Newbie Questions re: Transaction downloads, Categories & Reports

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

Gracie350
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Newbie Questions re: Transaction downloads, Categories & Reports

Post by Gracie350 »

Hello. I'm researching MMEX; not yet a user. For your point of reference, I am a 15+ year EX-Quicken user. [Used to be a great product; am struggling to replace it.] Am only interested in tracking and reporting income and expenses. No budgeting. No investment tracking.

Would like to understand a few specific features. Perhaps instead of answering the following questions, you can steer me to a different source of MMEX information.

Is the download of bank & credit card transactions direct to MMEX by my logging into the bank or credit card companies?
Or is it a Bank CSV-download & MMEX-import, 2-step process?
Can multiple banks and credit cards be handled within the same MMEX database.

Once downloaded, can transactions be set up for automatic assignment of Categories?
How many "layers" of Categories can be assigned? For instance is there a 3-layer hierarchy like HOME/Utilities/Electric?
Can the same Level 2 & 3 Subcategories be assigned to different level 1s? For instance: HOBBY/Utilities/Electric?

Can Income/Expense Reports be generated by Category and Subcategories for designated time periods - YTD, This Month, etc.

Thank you very much. Really appreciate any assistance.
Gracie350
Sinanju
New MMEX User

Re: Newbie Questions re: Transaction downloads, Categories & Reports

Post by Sinanju »

I find this a very strange post.

MMEX is free. So nothing to stop you downloading and doing few experiments, then if not happy, then delete and move on elsewhere.

Or if you think there's something that can be enhanced, then lobby for a feature change.

Many of the specific questions you ask, I can't answer, as I use it as both expense and budget app, and don't want to have anything connected to my bank account, even if only read only information. If my pc gets hacked, you can easily see that I'm living almost day to day, but my bank account details aren't saved anywhere on my pc.

I especially like "Recurring Transactions" section, where I can put in my usual mortgage, insurance and utility bills, whether they be monthly, annually or other time periods.

However, as for your question about 3 layer hierarchy (eg HOME/Utilities/Electric). No.

But doesn't mean you can't get creative ...

Home Utilities/Electric
Hobby Utilities/Electric
or
Utilities/Home Electric
Utilities/Hobby Electric
or
Electric/Home
Electric/Hobby

And if you do want to use Home and Hobby categories, what else is Electric but a utility? So is Utility as a 3rd category really needed?
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

Post by MartinArmstrong »

Gracie350 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:08 pm Is the download of bank & credit card transactions direct to MMEX by my logging into the bank or credit card companies?
Or is it a Bank CSV-download & MMEX-import, 2-step process?
Can multiple banks and credit cards be handled within the same MMEX database.
No
Yes
Yes
Gracie350
New MMEX User

Post by Gracie350 »

Thank you, Martin.