How to import from Gnucash?

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

ngoonee
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

How to import from Gnucash?

Post by ngoonee »

I have about 4 years of full records and another 3 years of sparse records from Gnucash, and I've been trying to import them properly into MMEX.

My data is all in English, and because Gnucash is double-entry, is all a set of transfers. That can be mapped fairly easily to categories in some cases, but for transfers between accounts rather than externally (for example, withdrawing cash from my savings account) it seems a bit of a hassle to import.

Also, my accounting methods mean I've used split transfers fairly liberally. For example, if I pay for a meal using a credit card and my colleagues pass me their portions in cash (or vice-versa), that's a split transaction, and there's more of those than I'd care to admit.

What's the most painless way to import?

So far what I've seen is that CSV (which I can export to from Gnucash losslessly, verified by my own sampled testing) does not support either split transfers or transfers between accounts.

Does QIF support both or either? Because I don't have a direct Gnucash QIF export, just a convertor someone wrote half a decade ago, and don't grok the format. I'll write my own simple convertor if I have to, but would need to know whether it supports both splits and transfers.

For reference, if it matters, I'm using 1.2.2 on Linux. I have no qualms going to a developmental version if needed.
Nikolay
MMEX Developer

Re: How to import from Gnucash?

Post by Nikolay »

QIF import is support transfers.
ngoonee
New MMEX User

Post by ngoonee »

Nikolay wrote:QIF import is support transfers.
Thanks Nikolay. Does it also support splits? I found old threads which said prior to 1.1.1 it worked fine.
ngoonee
New MMEX User

Post by ngoonee »

To be clear, I was referring to this report:-

http://forum.moneymanagerex.org/viewtop ... f=5&t=5661

Also to this feature request:-

http://sourceforge.net/p/moneymanagerex ... uests/128/

Either of them would be fine for my purposes. As the QIF import currently which I do seems to preserve transfers but absolutely mess up splits, I may have to manually modify my source data. However as I'm using a third party convertor just to get to QIF, I'd rather use CSV, if it were not for the fact that it can only import to one account, not to multiple accounts.

Ideally the CSV importer would have:-
a) The ability to specify account as well (so we can have a gigantic CSV with all accounts listed inside)
b) A 'Type' category which will specify whether this particular entry is a transfer, as well as a 'target' or whatever category for the account name it needs to be connected to.
boxall
New MMEX User

Post by boxall »

Sorry I can't see how it supports splits? I exported data from MS Money and each QIF is just one account. So it has no knowledge of the other accounts.