Struggling with imports

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

CyberWizard
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Struggling with imports

Post by CyberWizard »

I've been using an Android application called anMoney for some time and I'm trying to migrate to Money Manager EX. I love the idea that it's Open Source and I'm hoping that it fits my needs. In installed 1.2.2 on a 64bit Windows 8.1 machine this morning. 

I've exported my entire account from my previous application as QIF but when I imported it into MMEX, all of the balances were wrong. I figured that it was just an issue with having all accounts in one QIF so I exported each account separately as it's own QIF. Once I had imported them I got the same result. The balances were off by tens of thousands. I imported everything again using CSV and my balances were correct but transfers, of course, were now just debits and credits and not actual transfers.

In tinkering I've found that when I import a QIF file all transfer transactions turn up as outbound transfers in every case regardless of positive or negative values.

My QIF files seem to have  the correct markup but they don't import correctly.

Code: Select all

!Account
NChequing
TBank
^
!Type:Bank
D07/31/2007
T573.25
CX
POpening Balance
L[Chequing]
^
D07/31/2007
CX
T-398.91
PTRANSFER
L[TD Powerline]

The transaction above imported just fine, but a transaction that involves a transfer from another account, as opposed to a transfer to an account, also turns up as a withdrawal.

Code: Select all

^
D07/20/2008
CX
T1500
PTRANSFER
L[TD Powerline]
NDEP

It seems like I must be missing something but I can't seem to figure out just what it is. If anyone has any advice I'll gladly take it.
CyberWizard
New MMEX User

Re: Struggling with imports

Post by CyberWizard »

Sorry for double posting my last question. I missed the message indicating that posts needed moderator intervention.

I've done a little more testing and it looks like the imports won't work, they way that I want them to. I tried starting from scratch and importing one multi-account QIF file instead. The result was that each transfer transaction was double posted, which I understand is a known functionality and connecting together the two transactions resultant from a transfer isn't something that can be done in Money Manager Ex at the moment. My problem can be solved by importing CSV's instead of QIF and just ignoring that my transfer transactions get entered as a withdrawal/deposit pair and not a "true" transfer. I think I can continue testing so long as my OCD tolerates that. :D 

If I find an overwhelming need to correct for that I'll try this:
http://forum.moneymanagerex.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5928&p=11849&hilit=import+transfer#p11849
Nikolay
MMEX Developer

Re: Struggling with imports

Post by Nikolay »

Mmex does not support 'opening balance' tag.