What is the 'Duplicate' status in the Transaction Type field

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

leagaleagle
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

What is the 'Duplicate' status in the Transaction Type field

Post by leagaleagle »

On  the transaction entry form under Transaction Type there is an option Duplicate. What does it mean? I have tried it and it does not enter the transaction twice so what is it and how do I make use of it?

Thanks
Nikolay
MMEX Developer

Re: What is the 'Duplicate' status in the Transaction Type f

Post by Nikolay »

IMHO it has been designed for mark some transactions if it the same as already present one (after import, for example). Then you can view all 'duplicate' transactions and delete them.
sterling
Super MMEX User

Post by sterling »

I wish it did what you thought it did, which is what i thought it did originally too.
paulcroft
Senior MMEX User

Post by paulcroft »

sterling wrote:I wish it did what you thought it did, which is what i thought it did originally too.
Oh the joy of the English language, where a single word can be both a verb and a noun and only context gives clear meaning as to its use.  In this case, of course, it's the noun - you are not duplicating an entry but showing that the entry is a duplicate of another.  I have to say that, in all the time I've been using MMEX, I've not yet found a pressing need to duplicate an entry but I have found several duplicates that were errors so, for me, the way it's used in this programme suits me.  Perhaps I am just one of the lucky ones :)
Paul, MMEX user since April 2010
sterling
Super MMEX User

Post by sterling »

paulcroft wrote:
sterling wrote:I wish it did what you thought it did, which is what i thought it did originally too.
Oh the joy of the English language, where a single word can be both a verb and a noun and only context gives clear meaning as to its use.  In this case, of course, it's the noun - you are not duplicating an entry but showing that the entry is a duplicate of another.  I have to say that, in all the time I've been using MMEX, I've not yet found a pressing need to duplicate an entry but I have found several duplicates that were errors so, for me, the way it's used in this programme suits me.  Perhaps I am just one of the lucky ones :)
Very true.  Two pronunciations of the same word duplicate.  I often duplicate transactions though, such as transfering money between my accounts each month.
MoneyMagic
New MMEX User

Post by MoneyMagic »

In MMEX Help under 'Creating New Transactions' and on the MMEX website under Features > Transactions it says "Duplicate: The status will be automatically be changed to duplicate if it is recognized as such." As I understand it, this is just a flag so you can review the transaction and check if it is a duplicate or not, and either delete or void the transaction if it is, or change the status if it isn't.

I guess this is particularly useful when importing your transactions by CSV, and MMEX will hopefully automatically flag any duplicates. For example, you might have already entered a transaction manually or via Recurring Transactions, and the same transaction is then imported from your CSV bank statement, which will need to be flagged for deletion. Or where you are importing CSV transactions from two different banks (e.g. bank account and credit card account), a transfer from one account to the other will appear on both statements, but it will only need to appear as one transfer transaction in MMEX, so the duplicate should be deleted.