Just got v. 123 and can use it! Some questions...

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

eleanorb
Senior MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Just got v. 123 and can use it! Some questions...

Post by eleanorb »

I've been using 0990 for some  years, all new releases did not support the older mac OS I was using.  Now I'm up to 10.9.5 and finally I can use a newer version!  Some questions:

a.  The release.txt says v. 123 is as of Nov. 2015, but the date on the app file is May 2015 -- is that okay??

b.  Have any of the newer versions added any features that would make it possible (easy?) to save a year’s worth of data in its own file and then erase it from the current file?  I think this was being discussed a couple of years ago.  Or maybe someone has devised a work plan for doing this manually?

c.  What is the transaction ID number?  Can I suppress its display, or set all to blank?  (Mine seem to be all 2s or all 3s, etc.)

d.  Nice to have backups made -- where are the backups stored?  Where is the main database stored?

e.  When I use transaction report, it shows all the amounts in Canadian currency, even when the designated currency for the account is US.  Is this the way it is supposed to work?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Eleanor
Nikolay
MMEX Developer

Re: Just got v. 123 and can use it! Some questions...

Post by Nikolay »

a. it's does not metter
b. it's possible to do it manually but better to develop utility for that (not yet done).
c. please right click on ID column header and choose Hide from menu
d. Tools- Options - Others - Backup settings.... The backup files are stored at the same folder where main file is placed. Look at the top of started application to see where the DB placed.
e. This report shows the data in base currency even if one account selected. I'll created feature request to fix that issue.
Thanks
eleanorb
Senior MMEX User

Post by eleanorb »

Nikolay wrote:a. it's does not metter
b. it's possible to do it manually but better to develop utility for that (not yet done).
c. please right click on ID column header and choose Hide from menu
d. Tools- Options - Others - Backup settings.... The backup files are stored at the same folder where main file is placed. Look at the top of started application to see where the DB placed.
e. This report shows the data in base currency even if one account selected. I'll created feature request to fix that issue.
Thanks
Thanks for these answers!  Very helpful!

d.  My Tools menu doesn't have "Options" on it.  (Mac version?)   MMEX menu > Options > Others has when-to-backup settings, but no file location is mentioned.  I don't know what you mean by "top of started application" -- the "About" screen?  I can't find any actual path specified.

Here are some more questions:

f.   After I press Enter for repeating trans, the current date is automatically inserted, instead of just leaving it with the date provided at creation.  This seems like a bother -- I have to remember to change it when I use it.  What's happening?

g.  When I set column widths on a display, which other displays are affected?  For instance, if I change the display on one account, will this hold for all accounts?  Will it hold for the Repeating Trans display, or should I set this separately?  Etc. for all displays.

h.  On Repeating Transactions, what is the leftmost column, with some symbol in certain lines?

i.  On Transaction Filter, what are the numbers at the bottom with clickable bullets?

j. Transaction reports - why is date given a small space, and why does it sort only by day rather than by YMD? 

k. Is there a way to print a report in landscape mode (wider than tall)?
eleanorb
Senior MMEX User

Post by eleanorb »

I appreciated your answers to my questions.  Now what can I do to get the second set of questions answered?  There have been a lot of changes since I last upgraded (I was using an older OS for several years, that was not compatible with the newer versions of mmex), and I don't know how to adapt to some of them.

Thanks,
Eleanor