Shortcuts needed to speed up work

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

john3voltas
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Shortcuts needed to speed up work

Post by john3voltas »

I've been looking all over for keyboard shortcuts to improve and speed up my working with the transactions.
For instance, after importing a CSV file it is usually needed to fix the payees and categories for all the imported transactions.
From what I have understood, while in the Account View pane, if I press R or U it helps me to reconcile and to unreconcile a given highlighted transaction. But I think that's it, right? No more shortcuts, right?
We should have shortcuts like:
P - open a list of possible payees for a given highlighted transaction
C - open a list of possible categories for a given highlighted transaction
D - open a calendar to set another date for a given highlighted transaction
S - open a list of possible categories to be added as a split transaction
N - open a box to input the number of the transaction
ALT-N or CTRL-N or SUPER-N - open a text box to input/edit the notes field

Right now, all we can do is highlight the transaction and press enter.
There, a child window with opens up to Edit transaction. Then we have to TAB all over the the Edit transaction window.
What's the con of using this method? You not only have to TAB as many times as needed to go from the first field until the one you need to edit but then you also need to hit the space bar to push the categories button or the "... buttons" for numbers and frequent notes.
What's even worse, the payes field is a combo-box which is also free to input text. You can browse with TAB until the payees combo box but then I think there isn't any way you can push the combo-box button so that you can choose from one of the previously created payees...
I guess this won't be possible for 1.3.0 but do you think we could have this for the subsequent releases?
I love the way MMEX looks and feels and all the reports and how the import works with a wizard and without breaking the balance as some other finance apps do.
But not having shortcuts and a way to edit the transactions faster (like for instance gnucash) is a big drawback...
Or am I missing something on the GUI that allows me to do just what I need? :)
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Nikolay
MMEX Developer

Re: Shortcuts needed to speed up work

Post by Nikolay »

I like your suggesion.
john3voltas
New MMEX User

Post by john3voltas »

Nikolay wrote:I like your suggesion.
Is that so? Great! :D
Usually my ideas are not that popular.
You see, so far the Edit transaction window works perfect for whoever likes to work 100% with the mouse. It has everything we need to fix an import CSV.
But when you need speed there's really nothing that can beat a keyboard. And that's where the shortcuts come in handy.
Now, the shortcuts only help if the user can press the shortcut and make the change by only using the keyboard and get back at the transaction list in the same place.
Let me give you an example. I notice that there's a date wrong in a transaction that I added by hand a couple of days ago.
Optimally I would simply browse through the list of transactions by simply using the arrow keys (Up/Down).
Then, having the transaction highlighted, I would press D and a small calendar snippet would open up on screen showing me all the days of the current month, each of them on it's own tiny square and at the top it would be possible to change the month and the year. Preferably all this should be doable by just using the arrow keys (Up/Down/Left/Right and the enter key).
After setting the right year/month/day the calendar would close and I would be back at the Account view pane with the same transaction still highlighted and I should be able to move to the next transaction by simply using the Up/Down arrow keys.
How about that? Tricky? :P
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
john3voltas
New MMEX User

Post by john3voltas »

Now that I can use 1.3.0rc2, let me tell you that I am loving it.
I love the changes made to the importer tool.
I don't recall if in 1.2.7 was possible to select more than 1 transaction on the Account View window but I see that it is possible in 1.3.0. Unfortunately multi-selection is only there for copying/deleting of transactions. It should allow more than that.
Suppose I have 30 or 40 transactions that were all about going to the supermarket. It should allow me to select them all and then select the right payee and right category for them all at once instead of doing that one at a time. Otherwise it is a tedious job :)
spoker
New MMEX User

Post by spoker »

I would also love this last suggestion. !