Syncthing much more secure than Dropbox/Google drive for storing database

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

dwl99
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Syncthing much more secure than Dropbox/Google drive for storing database

Post by dwl99 »

I've been using https://syncthing.net/ to store my mmex database. It's a free & open-source file sync program that is encrypted & does not save any copies of your files on any third party servers. It works with Windows, macOS, Linux, Android & many NAS devices such as Synology. But not iOS.

It's a bit of a learning curve to get it up & running but well worth the effort. You can adjust whether file changes are synced or sent or received only and it also supports file versioning.

The biggest attraction for me is if someone hacks into your Dropbox or Google Drive account they can access your financial information. There is no possibility of this happening with Syncthing.
rattie
New MMEX User

Re: Syncthing much more secure than Dropbox/Google drive for storing database

Post by rattie »

I've been using Syncthing for years, but didn't try it out with MMEX.T

ell me, do you have to close MMEX app on your Desktop PC before allowing the sync to happen? Would a conflict happen if the same file is open on Android app and MMEX Desktop at the same time? How do you reconcile that?
dwl99
New MMEX User

Re: Syncthing much more secure than Dropbox/Google drive for storing database

Post by dwl99 »

I generally leave a good 10 minutes for the sync to happen and never access the same database from 2 different clients at the same time