** RESOLVED ** Unable to open MMEX

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

GCLynda
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

** RESOLVED ** Unable to open MMEX

Post by GCLynda »

Hi there

I downloaded mmex-1.3.5-win64 and although it has installed, when I select the .exe file, the programme does not open.

I have an HP Spectra using Windows 10 and have checked checked my firewall to confirm that MMEX is allowed through.

I am a novice sorry so would appreciate any assistance to help me understand why the programme won't open for me to use.

Regards
Lynda
Last edited by GCLynda on Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Renato
MVP MMEX User

Re: Unable to open MMEX

Post by Renato »

Renato Forum Administrator
GCLynda
New MMEX User

Post by GCLynda »

thanks for that information Renato - I did search the forum responses but I;m so new to forums that I obviously missed seeing it sorry.

I'll read through that info and see what I need to do.

Many thanks.

Lynda
GCLynda
New MMEX User

Post by GCLynda »

Hi all

I read that article and double checked that Defender/Firewall settings allow MMEX access and can confirm that they do permit access.

I had previously downloaded the latest version that was available, on 10 June and was able to open/create a database and start loading in financials.

My last successful access was 23 June.

I downloaded the latest updated version [mmex-1.3.5-win64-portable] and installed that - the installation went off exactly as expected however, when I initiate the programme, it won't open the previous database.

I moved all the database backup files etc from the folder being used to house those files, tried to initiate the programme again and received error message that MMEX couldn't find the last opened database - expected behaviour seeing as I had deliberately removed them from the folder.

I was prompted with the user interface asking if I wanted to

[greyed out - Open Last Opened database]
Create A New database
Open Existing Database
Read Documentation
Visit Website for more information

I selected "Create a New database", stepped through the instruction screens to set up one test account .

Test file created in the required folder MMEXTEST and stepped through the process screen by screen.

As soon as I reached the final screen [Edit Account] and clicked on OK, the window disappears and I can no longer see or access anything. The programme icon is still sitting on my task Bar and appears to be open but the small piece of screen which displays, contains nothing, won't enlarge or open fully and only shows the directory path being used.

In Explorer, I can see the Test database exists but it won't open or display to me.

I right clicked on the icon to Close Window and close the programme.

Knowing that there is a test database in the folder being used, I attempted to open the file again but nothing happens at all other than the icon now sits in my tray and includes the directory information that it's apparently looking at MMEXTEST/Test.mmb but nothing opens up at all.

I don;t really know what to look for in Registry but there's an entry which looks like this

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UFH\SHC

Value 1
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Money Manager EX\Money Manager EX.lnk
C:\Program Files\Money Manager EX\bin\mmex.exe
followed by
Value 3
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Money Manager EX\Money Manager EX.lnk
C:\Program Files\Money Manager EX\bin\mmex.exe

I'm at a loss to understand what is happening or how to correct so any help much appreciated.

Have attached doc showing the various screens / steps taken when setting up.

Cheers
Lynda
Attachments
MMEX Issue.doc
(994.5 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
Nikolay
MMEX Developer

Re: ** RESOLVED ** Unable to open MMEX

Post by Nikolay »

Hello Lynda,

The second file on the screenshots you provided is backup file that created before any changes (at mmex startup) or on exit.
mmex_backup.PNG
mmex_backup.PNG (19.42 KiB) Viewed 5250 times
Check a settings
mmex_backup_settings.PNG
mmex_backup_settings.PNG (41.64 KiB) Viewed 5250 times
GCLynda
New MMEX User

Re: ** RESOLVED ** Unable to open MMEX

Post by GCLynda »

ahhhh.... that makes sense.... thanks Nikolay.

Not sure if I should create a new thread or not but what's happening now is that when I add a brand new payee directly in the New Transaction window, it freezes up and the only way to recover is to force a quit via Task Manager.

Same thing happens if I have a default category linked to an existing Payee, but want to change the category for that one transaction, to something else -- it freezes up and again can only quite via Task Manager.

Lastly - the option to Duplicate a Transaction button remains greyed out intermittently which means that I can only create a New Transaction.

Happy to create a new thread with each of these items if required.

Many thanks,
Lynda