Rental Properties?

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

jerryk1234
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Rental Properties?

Post by jerryk1234 »

Hello,

Is anybody using MMEX to manage rental properties? Right now I use Quicken, and I use its "tags" feature to keep track of which property this e.g. mortgage payment etc is for.

- jerryk1234
mikhailo2608il
Senior MMEX User

Re: Rental Properties?

Post by mikhailo2608il »

The custom field feature of MMEX is the closest thing to the transaction tag construct in Quicken.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9480&sid=4effc73e1 ... c2f21ac667

You might search for "custom field" in all the forums if the post pointed to by the URL above does not explain their use well enough for you.

Good luck.
jerryk1234
New MMEX User

Post by jerryk1234 »

Looks like a custom field would do just fine. I'd call it "property" and use my usual two-letter codes for my properties. Might need another field or two - one biggie I track is "workers comp". What expenses do I have to pay it on? By having a field for that, I can easily answer my WC vendor's annual question: "How much did you spend for labor last year?".
siowena
Super MMEX User

Post by siowena »

Hi, unless I mis-understand.

Personally I would add a category / sub-category for the Worker's Comp and not a custom property field as this would allow you to find these transactions using the Transaction Report - can save a report 1-9 with name "Worker's Comp" and save the search parameters.
jerryk1234
New MMEX User

Post by jerryk1234 »

siowena,

Each item that might be subject to workers comp already has a category - and it might be any of the normal categories. WC is not a category - it's more like an attribute. WC is not really critical to my use of mmex - the main thing is being able to assign transactions of a specific category to one of my properties.

I have been using Quicken since the late 80's. But it is starting to annoy me. They have converted it to a subscription model. When the yearly subscription runs out, it converts into nagware, with a big banner at the top nagging you to pay, and a big sidebar nagging you to pay.

Not only that, but they are starting to crack down on people using remote (CIFS, NFS, Windows Server etc ) drives for the transaction data. When they publish an update, it won't work with a remote drive, unless you kill Quicken and re-open it. There still is a workaround, but I suspect that they will be closing it sooner or later. That would be a complete and absolute deal-killer for me. I do NOT keep my financial data on a desktop PC. Instead, it
resides on my Linux server, reasonably safe from Windows crashes.
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

Post by MartinArmstrong »

EagleEyes34 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:29 am I'm not an expert on the subject, but I assume you'd have to consider every detail.
Huh?

You have responded to a thread from 2020 with an answer that is not relevant to the specific question asked.

And you are not an expert on the subject.

Just wondering what the point was?
dbolton
Super MMEX User

Post by dbolton »

It looked like a spam bot. I went ahead and deleted the post.