Can't open mmb database from PC on Android version

MMEX4Android 5.1 and above upon SAF

Moderator: Renato

fleetwood
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: Can't open mmb database from PC on Android version

Post by fleetwood »

MisterY wrote:Thanks for the update. If you note any regularity in the behaviour, please let me know so that it can be corrected.
I am suspecting a situation where Dropbox sync did not go through but the time of the last update was still stored. Might need to try that scenario.

Forcing Dropbox upload or download from the settings screen should also work.
Actually, I'm positive I tried both manual syncronication and loading database from Dropbpx, but it just didn't help for some reason. Weird. 
MisterY
Super MMEX User

Post by MisterY »

fleetwood wrote:
MisterY wrote:Thanks for the update. If you note any regularity in the behaviour, please let me know so that it can be corrected.
I am suspecting a situation where Dropbox sync did not go through but the time of the last update was still stored. Might need to try that scenario.

Forcing Dropbox upload or download from the settings screen should also work.
Actually, I'm positive I tried both manual syncronication and loading database from Dropbpx, but it just didn't help for some reason. Weird.
Fully agree. Just to add that there is a slight difference between Sync and Download/Upload functions in the Dropbox settings.
Sync will first check the stored time of the last file change, which could be wrong if the previous transfer operation did not succeed for some reason (this is what I'd like to try), and then choose whether to download or upload the file.

Manually choosing Download or Upload will force the operation, overwriting the stored time of the last file change.
fleetwood
New MMEX User

Post by fleetwood »

MisterY wrote:
fleetwood wrote:I encountered this problem too. I cannot open dropsynced database anymore.

Yesterday everything worked fine, but then I made couple of long term account entries and one checking entry in PC. The checking entry synced ok to Android, but long term entries did not. Today Android app cannot open database anymore.
The "long-term entries" are most probably hidden by the date range filter.
It seems that this was not the case. I noticed today that if I add a new payee or category in Android, they won't get synced to PC and also all entries with those payees/categories won't get synced. 

If I add same payee in PC manually and select dropbox upload in Android, the manually added payee will disapper in PC.

All other new entries with old payees/categories syncs ok.

PC version: 1.2.2
Android version: 2.20.4

Hope this helps..
MisterY
Super MMEX User

Post by MisterY »

fleetwood wrote:It seems that this was not the case. I noticed today that if I add a new payee or category in Android, they won't get synced to PC and also all entries with those payees/categories won't get synced. 

If I add same payee in PC manually and select dropbox upload in Android, the manually added payee will disapper in PC.

All other new entries with old payees/categories syncs ok.

PC version: 1.2.2
Android version: 2.20.4

Hope this helps..
OK, let's break this down:

- Add a Payee/Category on Android and they don't get synced to PC. This means something is wrong with the way the synchronization is set up.
- Add a Payee on PC, upload from Android. Clearly, the data from Android will overwrite the data from the PC and I don't why this would even be attempted.

Note that we synchronize the full database file, not individual entries. Therefore, either *all* the changes get synchronized, or *none*. It is not technically possible that "other records sync ok" but the new ones do not.

For the lack of time on my side, I would recommend reading through the Dropbox user guide:
https://github.com/moneymanagerex/andro ... ki/Dropbox
and suggest any improvements to the documentation so that these efforts can benefit a wider user base.

My guess is that the file was not correctly linked to Dropbox. Sending us a Logcat would show if there are any underlying errors during the Dropbox synchronization and/or setup. Just try linking and downloading a file from Dropbox on the Dropbox Settings screen and, in case of any issues, have a look and/or do send a Logcat for analysis.
astral_cyborg
New MMEX User

Post by astral_cyborg »

Hello again.
I've re-exported my database file from .emb to .mmb (MMX Windows version) and transfered it to my Android phone.
The database is now imported to Android version with no app crashes, but I still get "error parsing default date range" message at every account and it still displays each transaction twice (every modification is made into one of them, it happens into the other, too).

Note that I am not using Dropbox to synchronize it, just copy-paste from a file manager.
MisterY
Super MMEX User

Post by MisterY »

astral_cyborg wrote:Hello again.
I've re-exported my database file from .emb to .mmb (MMX Windows version) and transfered it to my Android phone.
The database is now imported to Android version with no app crashes, but I still get "error parsing default date range" message at every account and it still displays each transaction twice (every modification is made into one of them, it happens into the other, too).

Note that I am not using Dropbox to synchronize it, just copy-paste from a file manager.
Hi!
The encrypted databases are not (yet) supported on Android. We have tested a prototype but it is not finished yet. That is the main reason the database was not opening in the first place.

Error parsing date will be better handled in the upcoming version. What you can do now is switch the visible period to a different value (and then back, if you wish). This will take care of the notification.

Dropbox is not required. Copying the database should work without issues.
And that brings us to the remaining unsolved issue - the duplicate transactions. I have seen this reported from a couple of users but was unable to reproduce on any of the test devices. It would be really helpful if you could provide more information - screenshots, logcat, or anything else. I have created an issue here: https://github.com/moneymanagerex/andro ... issues/550
so that we can trace and solve this problem.
Thanks for the support!
astral_cyborg
New MMEX User

Post by astral_cyborg »

Ok, I've created a random transaction and I am giving more details below. I am sorry for the non english language of the screenshot.

1. I run the app and open an Account to add a transaction.

2. I put a value and all the rest required fields.

3. The transaction is created successfully, but it is displayed twice.

4. Each transaction can be selected separately. Selecting one of these two to edit it's state.

5. Putting it as a Void transaction.

6. Both transactions are treated as one. So both transactions are now Void.

I hope that it was helpful in anyway
Clipboard.jpg
(187.82 KiB) Downloaded 662 times
Attachments
Clipboard.jpg
(187.82 KiB) Downloaded 662 times
MisterY
Super MMEX User

Post by MisterY »

Thanks for the screenshots. This confirms the issue.
In order for us to troubleshoot further, sending an application log (logcat) from About screen would be very helpful. Also, please tell us the Android version.
The reason is that this issue is not happening on any of the test devices, which makes it difficult to find the correct solution. The only source of information would be you and potentially others who are experiencing the same issue. Thanks for understanding!
astral_cyborg
New MMEX User

Post by astral_cyborg »

Thank you very much for the response.
Ok, I've just sent by email the logcat.
My Android version is 5.0.2 (Motorola Moto G 2nd Gen) and Kernel version is 3.4.42-g48d3b85.
MisterY
Super MMEX User

Post by MisterY »

Hi!

Thanks for the logcat. Unfortunately, I do not see any errors or warnings that would indicate the reason for this behaviour.
Until I can reproduce this or someone can help me debug, there is not much I can do about it at the moment. As the lists are handled by Android system in most part, I can't identify what is causing the duplicate rows. Whether the data returns duplicate records or the list view creates duplicate rows itself.
The fact that this is not happening normally on other devices and emulators also does not help the matter.