Sync using OneDrive

MMEX4Android: Manage your finances on-the-go, encrypted for security, sync via your own cloud

Moderator: Renato

MisterY
Super MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: Sync using OneDrive

Post by MisterY »

Actually, if it can do a row-level replication, I'd be happy to implement it in addition to existing file-level sync.

https://github.com/moneymanagerex/andro ... issues/991
wizardict
New MMEX User

Post by wizardict »

I agree that many users would not know how to set up their own server, but would want the functionality it provides. I think ultimately there would need to be a "server" installation of MMEX. That should be fairly simple, an installed for a SQL DB of choice and the sync component. For the initial phase though I would say implement the sync and let people with can set up their own server try it out.

In terms of support I think you would find this requires less support than the current system, not more. The issues you're having with dropbox sync is that dropbox was never intended to sync database files in this way, trying to use something for a purpose it was not intended for is always going to cause issues. By implementing something that is designed for this purpose, once the bugs are sorted it, it should work fairly smoothly.

I appreciate this is potentially a fair bit of work, but I think it's worth it. I like MMEX but there are numerous other free open source solution out there that do a similar job. The thing that set MMEX apart for me (and why I'm here) is that I need the ability to enter transactions when I'm out of the house. That's when I make most of my smaller transactions, and currently regularly forget to record them when I get home. The android integration you currently have sort of resolves that issue, but there are too many limitations. Not least the fact that if I forget to close the desktop version and enter a transaction on android I'm going to end up with 2 versions of the database that are difficult to reconcile.

Take a look at the SymmetricDS site and see if you're happy with it and what it can do (there are other similar solutions out there but I think this is the best fit for this project). I believe if you get this right it will really set MMEX apart from the crowd.
trice001
New MMEX User

Post by trice001 »

thanks for that.
javiermarcon
New MMEX User

Post by javiermarcon »

Excelent idea on using symmetricds to manage cetralized database. Is there a tutorial on how to configure symmetricds to sync several mmex databases?

Thanks.
wizardict
New MMEX User

Post by wizardict »

javiermarcon wrote:Excelent idea on using symmetricds to manage cetralized database. Is there a tutorial on how to configure symmetricds to sync several mmex databases?

Thanks.
As far as I'm aware no testing or development has been done in this area so far, so there are no tutorials as you would be breaking new ground. Whilst I think there's agreement that it would improve synchronisation, there are a lot of other things to work on and devs only have a certain amount of time.
MisterY
Super MMEX User

Post by MisterY »

Yes, I'd certainly encourage anyone interested to explore and contribute. As I keep saying, it's an Open Source hobby project.
Please keep in mind that, even though in MMEX there are several participating developers, for Android there is only one person (more or less) actively involved so don't expect much in terms of development or documentation at this point.
Without two-three or more actively participating developers, I don't think we'll be progressing much in the short term.
Renee
New MMEX User

Post by Renee »

wizardict wrote:
javiermarcon wrote:Excelent idea on using symmetricds to manage cetralized database. Is there a tutorial on how to configure symmetricds to sync several mmex databases?

Thanks.
As far as I'm aware no testing or development has been done in this area so far, so there are no tutorials as you would be breaking new ground. Whilst I think there's agreement that it would improve synchronisation, there are a lot of other things to work on and devs only have a certain amount of time.

IMO, this feature is so important, I may be able to volunteer my time to do documentation, as I am not a programmer and I haven't ever made a youtube video (although, I am considering making some English quality videos for this product). I am so grateful for this product, I feel it is the least I can do to contribute back at least 1-2 hrs per week to start, which will also enable them to continue to be there for us.

I too find this product superior for the same reasons as Wizardict. These developers have been very active and attentive to their audience for over 10 years and again.

Wizardict, have you made this feature a reality as of yet? Where do you stand with this feature? Thank you for your time.

Any other volunteers?