Local filename different than remote

MMEX4Android: Manage your finances on-the-go, encrypted for security, sync via your own cloud

Moderator: Renato

aranyg
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Local filename different than remote

Post by aranyg »

Hello,

my problem with MMEX Android is that the syncing started to fail since a week. I use google drive syncing, and there is no problem with that on PC and on my wife's phone. Suddenly on my phone MMEX started to give a "Local filename different than remote" message. I tried to force close, delete the local file, reinstall, reinstall after deleting the local files, nothing works... Can anyone help? Is there a "Forc sync" option in the Android versoion?

Thank you
Sempiternum
New MMEX User

Re: Local filename different than remote

Post by Sempiternum »

I'm getting the same error on two smartphones: Note 3 with AOSP rom and S8 with touchwiz rom.

I sync it with google drive, and everytime i get the error "Local filename different from remote".

This is happening since months.
tpd659
New MMEX User

Post by tpd659 »

Confirming this error with the 2017-12-20 production release. I've uninstalled and reinstalled.
ZeeJay
New MMEX User

Post by ZeeJay »

I've been having the same issues for a good few months as well.

I don't know whether the support team looks at our messages but they need to look into the app and fix these problems asap. Its really frustrating to find out that the database wasn't synced properly.
marekl
New MMEX User

Post by marekl »

Somebody is going to do something with this bug?
Money manager is useless without synchronisation...

Please fix this......
jjbova
New MMEX User

Post by jjbova »

I have been getting The same thing. Makes me sad, because I love this app, and I love the way it used to work. Does anyone know if it's doing this for one drive too?

Windows 10 with MMX 1.3.3
Android Oreo with MMX and Google Drive
tpd659
New MMEX User

Post by tpd659 »

Re-confirming the error on the current version as of 2018-01-13.
mr07
New MMEX User

Post by mr07 »

Hi. I think I finally found a workable solution. Actually it is a workaround rather than a solution. In my case, the error happens every time I use the MMEX for Windows that is using the same database on the Google Drive (local version, of course) as the APK synchronizes with. If this is your case then this procedure helps:

1. Open MMEX for Windows. Let it load the database
2. Go to: Tools -> Options -> Others
3. Uncheck the "Create a new backup when MMEX Start" in the Database Backup section
4. Press OK and close the MMEX. Wait about a minute (until the process "Backup and sync from Google" synchronizes the database file to the Google Drive)
5. Login to your Google Drive and check the folder where you keep the database file copy
6. Check if the data.mmb is present and no other file with a similar name is there (like data-update-xyz.mmb and others). If they are there, remove them from that folder.

Now the sync works fine and you can use both - the Android APK and the MMEX for Windows to edit your financial data (not concurrently, of course) ;-)

The background - There is obviously a bug in the APK. Although you set the the remote filename for the synchromization in the APK, it still evaluates all files in the remote folder. If there is another file that has a "similar" name the APK synchronization reports the error "Local filename different than remote". The real solution should be that APK evaluates on the configured remote file by ignoring any other file in the same remote folder. That's a message to MMEX APK developer ;-)
mr07
New MMEX User

Post by mr07 »

It happens for me too when I use MMEX for Windows and for Android and I synchronize the database file "data.mmb" through the Google Drive. Here is a workaround that helped:

1. Switch off the database backup for MMEX for Windows and close MMEX
2. Delete all .mmb files on the Google Drive but the "data.mmb"

The MMEX for Android obviously looks into the entire Google drive folder and it finds other .mmb files in that folder. It then fails to synchronize because it cannot decide; which file is correct. That happens even if the remote file "data.mmb" is explicitly configured in MMEX for Android. The MMEX for Android shall not look for the other .mmb files, not even for backup files generated by MMEX for Windows (a message for MMEX author).
mr07
New MMEX User

Post by mr07 »

It happens for me too when I use MMEX for Windows and for Android and I synchronize the database file "data.mmb" through the Google Drive. Here is a workaround that helped:

1. Switch off the database backup for MMEX for Windows and close MMEX
2. Delete all .mmb files on the Google Drive but the "data.mmb"

The MMEX for Android obviously looks into the entire Google drive folder and it finds other .mmb files in that folder. It then fails to synchronize because it cannot decide; which file is correct. That happens even if the remote file "data.mmb" is explicitly configured in MMEX for Android. The MMEX for Android shall not look for the other .mmb files, not even for backup files generated by MMEX for Windows (a message for MMEX author).