can't enter a value of £0.0

MMEX4Android: Manage your finances on-the-go, encrypted for security, sync via your own cloud

Moderator: Renato

arthur
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

can't enter a value of £0.0

Post by arthur »

in the desktop version you can enter an amount of £0.0 but in android version get error message "value must be positive". I have for many years used repeating transactions with a value £0.0 as a reminder for example when interest rate offers are about to end. Can Android version be set up to accept £0.0? Can the same database be used in both versions of MMex.?
MisterY
Super MMEX User

Re: can't enter a value of £0.0

Post by MisterY »

arthur wrote:in the desktop version you can enter an amount of £0.0 but in android version get error message "value must be positive". I have for many years used repeating transactions with a value £0.0 as a reminder for example when interest rate offers are about to end. Can Android version be set up to accept £0.0? Can the same database be used in both versions of MMex.?
No, not really. This is just another example of bastardizing a financial application for another purpose. There is no point having transactions with value of 0, you can confirm that with your bank, for example.
On the other hand, I would recommend to use Tasks, Calendar, or another scheduling app for the purpose of tracking when things start and end. Hope that helps.
rintxy
New MMEX User

Post by rintxy »

MisterY wrote:
arthur wrote:in the desktop version you can enter an amount of £0.0 but in android version get error message "value must be positive". I have for many years used repeating transactions with a value £0.0 as a reminder for example when interest rate offers are about to end. Can Android version be set up to accept £0.0? Can the same database be used in both versions of MMex.?
No, not really. This is just another example of bastardizing a financial application for another purpose. There is no point having transactions with value of 0, you can confirm that with your bank, for example.
On the other hand, I would recommend to use Tasks, Calendar, or another scheduling app for the purpose of tracking when things start and end. Hope that helps.
Actually, as this is a financial application that allows to track expenses categories, I like to differentiate the money I lend, it is actually an expense, but it's not "mine". On the other hand, whenever anyone lends me money, I do expend money on some category but there's no any balance difference. This is the use case when 0 value transactions come in place for me, and I'm actually just tracking my money and the way I expend it, not setting any reminder nor anything else.

I think it is useful and it's probably just a matter of ">=0" vs ">0". I'm not an Android developer, otherwise I would have done a pull request long time ago, as I find it annoying being forced to use desktop application for this. Anyway this is not urgent at all, but it would be nice if it could be considered as a possibility.

Thanks.
rintxy
New MMEX User

Post by rintxy »

MisterY wrote:
I think there's a use case actually. As a financial application that allows users to track expenses categories, I use this to differentiate when I lend money, as it is an expense but "it's not mine". On the other hand, the opposite case is when anyone lends me money, I do expend it on some category, but there's no any balance difference, this is where 0 value transactions come in place.

I'm not an Android developer, if so I would have submitted a pull request long time ago (as it is probably just a matter of ">=0" vs ">0"), because I find it annoying being forced to use desktop application for this transactions.

Anyway, this probably isn't urgent at all, but I would like it being considered as a possibility.

Thanks.