Download app Android - From where?

MMEX4Android 5.1 and above upon SAF

Moderator: Renato

libraio
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Download app Android - From where?

Post by libraio »

Can you tell me where I can download the Android app? The ilnk of google play indicated on the post:
  https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... manager.ex
does not open anything ...
Thanks for the reply
mikhailo2608il
Senior MMEX User

Re: Download app Android - From where?

Post by mikhailo2608il »

I recall seeing a post that Money Manager EX is no longer in the Google Play Store because it's coding in some way violated Google's guidelines. It appears to be available though at https://f-droid.org/packages/com.money.manager.ex/ though. I do not know how difficult it might be to install using F-Droid though.
libraio
New MMEX User

Post by libraio »

Thaks!
Aduba352
New MMEX User

Post by Aduba352 »

Hi, I just recently lost the mmex icon on my android and it turned out Mmex started disappearing from Google PlayStore around Nov 2019 ago.

So the question is... is it save to download the mmex application from other source besides the Google Playstore? I know that there are tons of apps which violates privacy values in the GooglePlay already although it supposedly "regulated" sort of. But is it a sound idea downloading an app from F-Droid? Is it safe? Does it do anything harmful to my Android Phone in general?

Many thanks to answer such a noob question. Have a good one.
dbolton
Super MMEX User

Post by dbolton »

I use F-droid to download apps on Android.

Here's what I like about F-droid:
* All the apps are open source and free
* It tells you upfront in the description if there are any features you might not like--such as promoting a non-free service, any tracking of the user
* The apps are curated so at least one human besides the original developer has looked at the project and approved of it's inclusion in F-droid
* It is independent from Google.

Here's what I don't like about F-droid:
* Updates to apps may be a few days behind the Play Store (occasionally weeks behind). For this reason I prefer Play Store for apps that have frequent security-fix updates (like web browsers, email clients, etc.)

Since Money Manager Ex is only running data that you entered (or imported from a source you trust--i.e. your bank), it doesn't have the need to urgently update like web browsers. For comparison, web browsers run untrusted code from any page you visit on the web, and email clients open or process any untrusted email you receive.

Disclaimer: I have not looked at Money Manager Ex's code. This is just based on my impressions.
Aduba352
New MMEX User

Post by Aduba352 »

Many thanks to you answering my question. Could you kindly give me a simple explanation about the difference of APK Mirror and F-Droid?
So far that I know is that APK Mirror is a website that gives us the application(s) that is not available on Google Playstore or gives us the file that of the app that can't be installed using Google Play so that we can install it.

I think F-Droid is supposedly different than the APK Mirror? No?

Thanks for your time looking at my message. Cheers.
dbolton
Super MMEX User

Post by dbolton »

I hadn't heard of APK Mirror before. From what I've read just now it sounds okay. However, I don't see Money Manger Ex listed there.