Since the update of 1.5 application has become slow

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

CyberAngel
Senior MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Since the update of 1.5 application has become slow

Post by CyberAngel »

As the subject says, since this update the application has become very slow and almost non responsive, has anyone else notice this.

I have about 12 months worth of data, and is not a huge amount for me, like if I select a record, there is almost a 2sec delay before it highlights the record, pressing R once it is selected can take around 4 secs in some cases.

Would it be safe to roll back to prior this new look version?
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

Re: Since the update of 1.5 application has become slow

Post by MartinArmstrong »

Just to reassure you @CyberAngel that 1.5.0 (and now 1.5.1) are not inherently slow.

I have a database with over 5000 transactions and multiple accounts that I use for testing. I run this on an old, fairly slow laptop.

Selecting transactions (single or multiple) is instantaneous.

Changing the status (R/U/V/F/D) on one or a few transactions is instantaneous.

Changing the status all 3500 transactions selected in an account takes just over 2 seconds.

So, there is clearly something unusual about your MMEX installation.

Firstly, it's worth upgrading to 1.5.1 anyway, since that contains various bug fixes.

1. Which version of Windows are you running?

2. Do you install 32 bit or 64 bit MMEX?

3. How much RAM do you have in your PC?

4. If you run Task Manager and look at the MMEX process, do you see high CPU usage?

5. Do any other processes have very high CPU usage?

6. Where is your .mmb database stored? On the same disk? On a network drive? On a memory stick?

7. What antivirus software are you running? If you temporarily disable it, does it improve the performance of MMEX?

8. If you reboot your PC and then only run MMEX, do you see the same slow performance?

9. If you create a new 'test' database in MMEX and add transactions (create a few, multiple select, and copy paste to add more), do you still the slow performance that you report on your 'main' database?
CyberAngel
Senior MMEX User

Post by CyberAngel »

Well, it is not very instantaneous for me, I haven't got 5000 records, probably 1/5th of that. But there's a good 1-2 sec delay before me clicking the row and it highlighting it, and it seems to be double that when hitting the R key for reconciliation.

And I am using 1.5.1

Fully patched WIndows 10, 64 bit. 32 GB memory, the mmb file is not on the same disk and its stored on the startup drive which is an nvme.2 SSD. Antivirus is the default windows and its currently off. If I reboot the system and run MMEX, I see the same issue.

Now, I tend to leave it open for a little bit sometimes, but the memory usage and CPU usage is nothing to worry about.

But the All Transactions is where I noticed it the most first, then once I go from there to the favourite account, there are 2, then it seems to have the delay. But only when I use the all transactions first.

It gets so bad, you can hit the new transaction, and it can take 5 secs to open, and you can literally see the docked windows redraw themselves.
Renato
MVP MMEX User

Post by Renato »

Just tested my accounting (6500 entries) on a 12 year old laptop, absolutely no performance issues.

I would uninstall MMEX and delete the remaining files (C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\MoneyManagerEx\mmexini.db3) except the .....mmb (database files).
Then download and install the latest version.

If you use the portable MMEX version you have to delete all files except ....mmb.
Renato Forum Administrator
dbolton
Super MMEX User

Post by dbolton »

I spent some time yesterday using and switching between the All Transaction view and individual accounts. I didn't notice any slow downs.

That said the All Transaction view is new in 1.5 so it is possible you've come across something that others haven't yet. If removing the old install and reinstalling doesn't fix the problem, see if you can identify an exact series of steps that causes the slow down.
Nikolay
MMEX Developer

Post by Nikolay »

It may be depend on number of payyes.

See https://github.com/moneymanagerex/money ... ssues/3238
CyberAngel
Senior MMEX User

Post by CyberAngel »

Renato wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:54 pm Just tested my accounting (6500 entries) on a 12 year old laptop, absolutely no performance issues.

I would uninstall MMEX and delete the remaining files (C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\MoneyManagerEx\mmexini.db3) except the .....mmb (database files).

If you use the portable MMEX version you have to delete all files except ....mmb.
This appears to have fixed it, there was only one file in the roaming folder, which was a DB3 file, I deleted it after uninstalling the main program, but that means something is not being uninstalled when the update is taking place. Correct me if I am wrong, but does it not uninstall and then reinstall itself?
CyberAngel
Senior MMEX User

Post by CyberAngel »

CyberAngel wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:02 am This appears to have fixed it, there was only one file in the roaming folder, which was a DB3 file, I deleted it after uninstalling the main program, but that means something is not being uninstalled when the update is taking place. Correct me if I am wrong, but does it not uninstall and then reinstall itself?
Spoke too soon, closed it down and opened it back up, and back to almost a 2sec delay between highlighting rows. But it only does it when I go to All Transactions and then back to normal accounts. Everything else is the same, the drawing of the docked window is also slow, you can literally see the rows being drawn in that 2 secs.
KetJo
New MMEX User

Post by KetJo »

CyberAngel wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:02 am
Renato wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:54 pm Just tested my accounting (6500 entries) on a 12 year old laptop, absolutely no performance issues.

This appears to have fixed it, there was only one file in the roaming folder, which was a DB3 file, I deleted it after uninstalling the main program, but that means something is not being uninstalled when the update is taking place. Correct me if I am wrong, but does it not uninstall and then reinstall itself?
I also had a delay in the "all transactions" section, but reinstalling the application helped solve this problem.
Full review of OppLoans at https://loanwinners.com/loans/opploans-review/ - rates, conditions and fees, all information in one place.