encrypted money manager ex file

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

clifton66
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

encrypted money manager ex file

Post by clifton66 »

I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1. Money Manager EX was previously working in Windows 8.1 but not any more. I keep getting a message "STOCKHISTORY_V1:exception attempt to write a readonly database(8): attempt to write a readonly database".

I am trying to update my file but entries are not being accepted in the database. The system does not ask me for a password when opening an existing database. Please can somebody help me with my problem. I have not used my Database for 3 months.Presumably I am not opening the correct database or is the file/s corrupted. Where  do  find the Database files if I do not remember where I saved them.

Many Thanks in advance for any assistance given in this matter.
paulcroft
Senior MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: encrypted money manager ex file

Post by paulcroft »

>> The system does not ask me for a password when opening an existing database. <<

When you create your first database it will be unencrypted and in *.mmb format, i.e. the file extension will be 'mmb'   If you subsequently choose to save your database in encrypted format it will be given an 'emb' extension.  You will only be asked for a password if you have saved it as an encrypted file.  Did you?

>> Where  do  find the Database files if I do not remember where I saved them. <<

I do not know where the default save location is but if you did not select a specific folder my best guess is that you will find it here: c:\users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\MoneyManagerEX (where 'yourname' is what you have called yourself on your pc).  If it's not there try searching your 'C' drive for the file:  *.mmb where the * represents the name you gave your database.  If you did not give your database a name this format (i.e. *.mmb) should still locate your file.  I suggest that, if/when you find it you give it a memorable name and save it to a folder of your choosing.
Paul, MMEX user since April 2010