Version 1.33 / I cannot update stock price

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

corse63
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Version 1.33 / I cannot update stock price

Post by corse63 »

With version 1.33 I cannot update share price. 

The button add does not respond and price date and new value are grey and cannot be keyed in.

Thnaks
Nikolay
MMEX Developer

Re: Version 1.33 / I cannot update stock price

Post by Nikolay »

I thik the solution may be found here:
https://sourceforge.net/p/moneymanagerex/bugs/1015/
corse63
New MMEX User

Post by corse63 »

Nikolay wrote:I thik the solution may be found here:
https://sourceforge.net/p/moneymanagerex/bugs/1015/
Thanks it works
penicheiro
New MMEX User

Post by penicheiro »

I'm sorry but I'm having a hard time understanding how this new version works with shares and stocks.

According to this,
Solution is simple:
Select your stock entry (Do not open Edit)
Use the Add Trans button to add a transaction. (As per step 4 above - Conversion for 1.3.x)
* Now wnen you edit this transaction you will be able to add the current price.
All part of the upgrade process.
Current price now covers all stock parcel purchases. Each parcel of shares keeps a record of the purchase price and date of purchase in a
separate file.
The date field in the portfolio vew becomes obsolete, and should be hidden.
if I want to update a particular stock, I have to buy or sell? Can't I just update the price of the stocks? In previous versions, I would update the price and that way, MMEx would show me how much I'm earning with that stock. It even had a nice graphic showing the evolution of the stock. In the latest version, that is gone!

I'm seriously having problems understanding all of this. Can someone help?
stef145g
MMEX Developer

Post by stef145g »

if I want to update a particular stock, I have to buy or sell? Can't I just update the price of the stocks?
Stocks and shares are slightly more complicated than straight transactions. This is because we cannot transfer money directly to our accounts and vice versa.
To solve this problem, there is a linkage from a regular account to a share account to a stock account.
A Stock account is a single entry in the Stock Portfolio. This handles current prices and account information.
The Share Account becomes the gateway to our regular accounts, or a gateway to the Stock / Company

Because the old way only had a single transaction for a stock/company it was ambiguous in its usage. An entry was wither a Stock or it was a share lot.

This ambiguity has been removed. Once an initial transaction has been added to the Stock, it creates a link so a company is a Stock. Now we can add more stares to a Stock if we wish to do so. Share management such as dividends and moving money to our accounts or vice versa can be achieved.

When Editing a transaction in the Share account,

1. If the transaction belongs to a Stock, it will present the transaction details for the Share transaction. Here you will be able to change the purchase price for this particular amount of shares, which in many cases will be different to the current price.
2. If the transaction belongs to a regular account, it will only display the regular account transaction.

When editing a Stock
If a transaction does not exist, you will only be able to change the initial purchase price.
After the conversion you will only be able to change the current price for this stock/company 
Regards: Stefano
penicheiro
New MMEX User

Post by penicheiro »

stef145g wrote:
if I want to update a particular stock, I have to buy or sell? Can't I just update the price of the stocks?
Stocks and shares are slightly more complicated than straight transactions. This is because we cannot transfer money directly to our accounts and vice versa.
To solve this problem, there is a linkage from a regular account to a share account to a stock account.
A Stock account is a single entry in the Stock Portfolio. This handles current prices and account information.
The Share Account becomes the gateway to our regular accounts, or a gateway to the Stock / Company

Because the old way only had a single transaction for a stock/company it was ambiguous in its usage. An entry was wither a Stock or it was a share lot.

This ambiguity has been removed. Once an initial transaction has been added to the Stock, it creates a link so a company is a Stock. Now we can add more stares to a Stock if we wish to do so. Share management such as dividends and moving money to our accounts or vice versa can be achieved.

When Editing a transaction in the Share account,

1. If the transaction belongs to a Stock, it will present the transaction details for the Share transaction. Here you will be able to change the purchase price for this particular amount of shares, which in many cases will be different to the current price.
2. If the transaction belongs to a regular account, it will only display the regular account transaction.

When editing a Stock
If a transaction does not exist, you will only be able to change the initial purchase price.
After the conversion you will only be able to change the current price for this stock/company 
I still can't update the current price.

If I edit the stock, the Current Price and Price Date are greyed and cannot edit.
If I click in Add Trans, there is no Current Price field to change. The Share Price is able to modify but I shouldn't change that because it's the initial value that I bought the stock.

I even tried to create a new stock but I still cannot understand how this works. When creating a new stock, I can only change the initial value. Isn't the field Current Price missing somewhere?
stef145g
MMEX Developer

Post by stef145g »

The only way to explain it is by attempting to show you. I have created a video to demonstrate how stocks work.
This is now posted on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uoi_uSxcU1M&feature=youtu.be

Hope this explains it better.
Regards: Stefano
KenK
New MMEX User

Post by KenK »

After several attempts over the months, I am now able to update stock prices manually! What I had missed was letting MMEX create a Shares account  when setting up the stock in the Investment account - I'd chosen Cancel when prompted. Manually adding a Shares account from New Account later doesn't help.

A couple of very minor irritations
- it takes the last value entered as the current share price, not the one with the latest date. If adding a price history, do it in date order.
- it insists on having a Stock Symbol. I have accounts that are not listed on online services, so don't have symbols. I look up the price and can now enter it manually, but I have to enter a rubbish value for the symbol.
Maorga
New MMEX User

Post by Maorga »

The best way to manually update the Stockprice is:

go into your Stock Portfolios

doubleclick on the Stock

change "Price Date" and "actual Price"

Press Insert then Press SAVE and at last Close

You will see the Stockprice will change.
LanBoNa
New MMEX User

Post by LanBoNa »

Same problem, cannot update price date and actual price as in grey.
Have already posted the question in January, still no answer from MMEX team?