Does the latest version include a virus??

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

paulcroft
Senior MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Does the latest version include a virus??

Post by paulcroft »

I got an email yesterday to say the latest version of MMEX has just been released.

It's shown as mmex_1.3.3_x64_setup.exe which is odd because I've been running this version since 5/2/18. This latest version has a file size of 7979 KB while my version from 5/2/18 has a file size of 7223 KB.

Aware of the difference I nevertheless tried to run the latest version and immediately win10 told me it appeared malicious and did I still want to run it - I said yes. Then Avast immediately picked it up and said it is infected with the Win32:Malware-gen virus and also includes a threat named "Dyna:FsShield-Allmult"

Can you elaborate on these reported threats please? Are they genuine? Most importantly, what is the correct file size of version "mmex_1.3.3_ex64.exe"

Thanks
Paul, MMEX user since April 2010
paulcroft
Senior MMEX User

Re: Does the latest version include a virus??

Post by paulcroft »

Further to the above, I am now getting bombarded with reminders, sometimes two or three a day, to upgrade to the latest version (1.3.3x64) yet if I bother to check, while the version number remains unchanged, the file's creation date is updated and the file size is different. two factors which should surely be unchanged.

The source for the file (https://sourceforge.net/projects/moneym ... t/download) appears to be legit but has the site been hacked? I've not seen this behaviour before and the fact that no-one's come back to me is disconcerting.
Paul, MMEX user since April 2010
stellajames942
New MMEX User

Re: Does the latest version include a virus??

Post by stellajames942 »

I also wanna know about it.