Time to give up trying Money Manager EX???

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

Digithead
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Time to give up trying Money Manager EX???

Post by Digithead »

Clearly what used to be the most popular and common personal financial software (Quicken) has taken serious nose-dive is now pretty much useless.

In searching for a replacement, I stumbled across this project and got all exited about it. But alas... over the past two years I've been trying to migrate years worth of Quicken data into this but with absolutely NO success what so ever. I've poured through this forum trying every single thing I can find on the subject but one of them works.

I guess I need to just keep looking for another solution??

Frustrating... to say the least.
cnthetford
New MMEX User

Re: Time to give up trying Money Manager EX???

Post by cnthetford »

You can export your quicken files to QIF and import into MMEX. That being said, the process was quirky (there seemed to be errors in the QIF files generated by Quicken) and I couldn't get my balances to match up. And the end of the process, I just brought in the previous month of data, set the starting balances accordingly and everything is working now. I will still keep quicken available to run history. I typically only need to look up things like, "how much did it cost to replace the transmission in my car 4 years ago?" Since I generally only do this kind of look up a half dozen times a year, I can live with that. You might have better luck importing your QIF files.

The thing I like about MMEX is that the database is a standard sqlite file which means you won't be stuck with Quicken's proprietary format if you ever need to move tools again.
dbolton
Super MMEX User

Re: Time to give up trying Money Manager EX???

Post by dbolton »

For full instructions, see Migrate from Quicken to Money Manager Ex. The export-import process is not perfect (as cnthetford mentioned above), but the article covers every step to get a perfect data transfer.

I identified problem areas from migrating my financial data, but if you experience other issues, please share. I'll update the article for the benefit of others. Developers of Money Manager Ex may look at the possibility of fixing import issues for future releases Money Manager Ex. Not everything can be fixed (for example if the export is broken on Quicken's side), but I have already seen improvements on Money Manager Ex's side since the first draft of the article.