Does MMEX Call Home?

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

andrewjones657

Does MMEX Call Home?

Post by andrewjones657 »

Hi,

I have been a happy user of MMEX on Windows for nearly 10 years and I think it is excellent, despite the loss of stocks updates from Yahoo Finance.

I have an issue which has become apparent with Dropbox. I locate my encrypted MMEX database in Dropbox. I use Windows 10 on both my desktop machine and my laptop. It all works superbly. Any update on either machine is then there when I open the application again on either machine. Just what I would expect.

Obviously a copy of the database is also on each of my PCs. When either or both are online everything is synchronised. However if I open MMEX when my laptop is offline I get slow operation and errors, followed by lockups and crashes. Obviously MMEX is using the locally saved copy of the database in this scenario.

As everything works correctly online I might suspect that MMEX 'calls home' when starting and without some kind of verification being performed it will not run properly. But then, perhaps not. If I move the database out of Dropbox and put it somewhere else on my laptop and then go offline it all works properly. Returning it to Dropbox once back online returns everything to the way I want it to be.

Surely one of the uses of Dropbox is to allow access and editing of a document online or offline and then to have it synchronise once back online.It works perfectly for MS Office files, and all other types I use (KeePass, etc.). But not quite fro MMEX. Hmm.

Surely I am not the only user of MMEX who wants to operate this way? Anybody else noticed this?