Where does Money Manager EX store the database?

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

warmbells
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Where does Money Manager EX store the database?

Post by warmbells »

I have had to instal on a new PC. I copied thedatabase file from the Money manager EX folder on the old PC to the new folder but it keeps opening the instalation database. also it keeps saying I am trying to write to a read only file even whenI am not trying to save anything. The error is BILLDEPOSITS_V1: Exemption attempt to write to a readonly database [8]: attempt to write to a readonly database. How can i stop this?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Gerald
mikhailo2608il
Senior MMEX User

Re: Where does Money Manager EX store the database?

Post by mikhailo2608il »

warmbells wrote:I have had to instal on a new PC. I copied thedatabase file from the Money manager EX folder on the old PC to the new folder but it keeps opening the instalation database. also it keeps saying I am trying to write to a read only file even whenI am not trying to save anything. The error is BILLDEPOSITS_V1: Exemption attempt to write to a readonly database [8]: attempt to write to a readonly database. How can i stop this?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Gerald
Are certain that you are opening the new database? When I start up MMEX it gives me the App Start Dialog window with a number of buttons one of which is "Open Existing Database" which is the one you should be using. After you click on this button you get to the MMEX home page where you can optionally specify the Navigation Pane and the Toolbar from the View menu. At the very top of this home page in the upper left corner is the MMEX logo followed by "Money Manager EX" followed by a dash which is then followed by the full file path of the database that is being utilized. In my case the path name shows up as C:\Users\mikha\Dropbox\MMEX_database.mmb . I encourage you to do the above and confirm that you are utilizing the database you expect to be using.
warmbells
New MMEX User

Post by warmbells »

Thanks for the reply,
Yes I am using the correct database. I have tried on three different machines with the same problem. Also on all three machines after a couple of minutes I get the error 'MoneyManager EX' has stopped working.
Two of the machines are running Windows 7, the third is running Windows 8.

Gerald
siowena
Super MMEX User

Post by siowena »

warmbells wrote:Thanks for the reply,
Yes I am using the correct database. I have tried on three different machines with the same problem. Also on all three machines after a couple of minutes I get the error 'MoneyManager EX' has stopped working.
Two of the machines are running Windows 7, the third is running Windows 8.

Gerald
OK, assuming you've installed the correct versions for WIn7 and Win8 and 32/64 bit as appropriate.

Don't worry about putting the database in the MMEX folder, this is probably what's causing the read-only issue as generally program directory files are read-only for security reasons. You can change the security on the DB file and/or program directory but it's not advised.

Try this
1. Put the database file in a directory in your MyDocuments directory, or create a sub-directory MMEX and put this there.
2. Start MMEX app
- I'm assuming you don't see the Startup dialog, so wait until it's loaded the default DB
3 Go to Help Menu
4 Select Show App Start Dialog
5 Select option Open Existing Database
6 Navigate to where you put the database in step 1 above and open the DB

In theory, when you open the MMEX app again, it should always open this DB in your mydocuments folder and not the default 1.