Instructions in how to update

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

Debby
New User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Instructions in how to update

Post by Debby »

Downloaded the new version 1.3.4 65 bit to my desktop. Ran the exe file but it didn't work just looked like it was loading (waited 15 minutes before restarting computer). Had cleared it for starting with my virus checker. How do I get it to work so that I have the latest version?
latedev
Senior User

Re: Instructions in how to update

Post by latedev »

Make sure you have saved off your database files to a different folder as a backup, then shut MMEx down with no instance running in the background.
Do a Ctl Alt Del and start task manager to make sure there are no instances running unseen.

If you found something then close it down by clicking on the offending instance to highlight it, then select end task.
At this point you can try running it again or go onto the next step.

Uninstall MMEx completely then reinstall the correct version you require for your system.

Once started it will ask if you want to load an old DB or start a new one. Just head to your backup and load that up.
Nikolay
Developer

Re: Instructions in how to update

Post by Nikolay »

This is a new feature.
https://github.com/moneymanagerex/money ... ssues/2387

I recommend before upgrade just download portable version of mmex and start it in separate folder.
I've just make a lot of fixes and development releases are available here:
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/moneyma ... /artifacts

Extract zip folder to any place and start bin/mmex.exe Then open a copy of your DB. In that case you would see new features and safe your data from crash.

This info from Help pages:
19.5. Can MMEX run from a USB Key?

Yes.

MMEX is a portable application which means ability to runwithout installation, for example, from USB flash drive. If MMEXfinds mmexini.db3 in its folder, it assumes portablemode. Copy mmex's files to USB Key and copy yours mmexini.db3 to mmex's folder on that drive.

To make MMEX portable:
•on Windows (assume F:\ is USB flash drive) 1.Copy C:\Program Files\MoneyManagerEx to F:\
2.Copy %APPDATA%\MoneyManagerEx\mmexini.db3 to F:\MoneyManagerEx
3.Copy your database file to any folder on F:\

•on Unix (assume /media/disk is mounted USB flash drive) ◦Compile MMEX from sources as usually, and run thefollowing commands: make install prefix=/media/disk
cp ~/.mmex/mmexini.db3 /media/disk/mmex/share/mmex

◦or copy MMEX which has already installed in /usr: cp /usr/bin/mmex /media/disk/mmex/bin
cp /usr/share/mmex /media/disk/mmex/share
cp /usr/share/doc/mmex /media/disk/mmex/share/doc
cp ~/.mmex/mmexini.db3 /media/disk/mmex/share/mmex