opening by doubling clicking emb file reverts to 1.3.3

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

DLBC
New User
Are you a spam bot?: No

opening by doubling clicking emb file reverts to 1.3.3

Post by DLBC »

I have installed 1.3.4 upgrade Win 64 version. I run 2 separate emb databases and with 1.3.3 I have 2 short cuts on the desktop . Double clicking either opens up the appropriate database.
After installling 1.3.4, if I open MMex directly, I get a message about changing the language, but with no control to make a change. The program then runs and I can load the database and check that it is running in 1.3.4. If then close the program, double click the emb file, it thens tells me that an update is available. If I proceed to open the databased it is running under 1.3.3. I have saved the database whilst running under 1.3.4 and saved it with a different name. If i then double click the new emb file, it still opens with the message that an upgrade is available and when opened, is apparently still opening in version 1.3.3.
I have checked the mmex.exe file in Program files/MoneyManager Ex/bin and that reports it is v 1.3.4. Where is 1.3.3 installed?
Presumably there is something embedded in the emb file pointing it to v 1.3.3..
How can I revert to the option of opening the relevant emb file by double clicking it to open with v 1.3.4?
Nikolay
Developer

Re: opening by doubling clicking emb file reverts to 1.3.3

Post by Nikolay »

DLBC
New User

Post by DLBC »

Thank you for your prompt reply. I have opened the link you provided, but I'm afraid I can't really follow how to enter these paths ans switches for my system. Also the example seems to require the creation of 2 separate mmexini.db3 files, but how would I create these?
I have deleted both copies of the mmexinin.db3 files (under Program Files and AppData) expecting a encounter an error when trying to start the exe file, but I see it just recreates the db3 file in AppData, but not in Program Files.
The situation is as follows: -if I launch the mmex.exe file, I see a box asking me to Switch Application language in the View Menu - mmex then loads. If the db3 file is present I can load the last used database and it's operating under v 1.3.4. If I have deleted the db3 files,then I have to select the database. (This is all very obvious to you!)
If I try to launch by double clicking the emb files, I get a box asking me to select between English and englsh-uk. It doesn't seem to matter which I choose, the window appears requesting me to upgrade from 1.3.3 to 1.3.4. I then select finish, which opens the webpage to download the new version. I close the browser, because I've already upgraded, open the database but About then shows I am using version 1.3.3. This confuses me because mmex.exe 1.3.3 shouldn't be on my pc , having been overwritten during the upgrade.
Obviousy something has changed in the new version, possibly because another user requested something to make their life easier?
I can still use the systems ok, but having to manually switch databases each time is a pain. Any chance of it going back to being able to launch from a shortcut to the database?
Nikolay
Developer

Post by Nikolay »

Example: You have some mmex installed in program files. This is default app for mmb files. mmexini.db3 file stores in somewhere in used documents folder.

Then you can download zip (portable) mmex (for example: https://sourceforge.net/projects/moneym ... p/download)
Extract it to some folder like c:\portabe_apps\mmex

Do not use double clicking by the emb files to launch! Run only exe files!
DLBC
New User

Post by DLBC »

Thank you for your replies. However, I think I have found the source of the problem on my system. I recently upgraded by adding a SSD and reinstalled Win 10 and programs, including Money Manager Ex onto the new drive which is reserved for operating system and designated as the C: drive. However, I retained the existing operating system partition on the old hard drive now with a new drive letter, which also has separate data partitions. It seems that launching the emb files by double clicking the short cut was using mmex.exe on the old hard drive. Deleting the relevant partitions and Appdata on the old drive has solved the problem. I can now happily launch both emb files in 1.3.4 from the new short cuts. I note that you say I shouldn't do this, is there a reason for that?
Sorry to have wasted your time.
Nikolay
Developer

Post by Nikolay »

If user double click mmb file the installed mmex would be running. For example C:\Program Files (x86)\mmex\bin\mmex.exe version 1.3.3.
If some portable version has been installed (for explore new features) it never starts.

Therefore, I recommend that you always run the program, and after that select the file.
There is also a menu of previously opened files.
recent.PNG
recent.PNG (31.36 KiB) Viewed 4287 times