Can't Open Database

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

strongbow
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Can't Open Database

Post by strongbow »

This morning Money Manager EX reported that my database had been flagged as open by another instance of Money Manager EX. After several attempts at solving the problem I copied the database to a USB stick and opened it on another computer. On the second computer Money Manager EX opened the database and let me make changes, so it seems that the problem doesn't lie with the data.

Back to the first computer: I deleted all Money Manager EX data; Uninstalled and reinstalled Money Manager EX; Copied the updated database from the USB stick to a new location. Money Manager EX seemingly allows me to open this copy of the database, but sits there without showing anything. N.B. I say it seems to be opening the database because the timestamp is changing and a backup database is created, but I can't see any of my data!

Any help/advice/ridicule gratefully received.
Renato
MVP MMEX User

Re: Can't Open Database

Post by Renato »

Renato Forum Administrator
strongbow
New MMEX User

Post by strongbow »

Many thanks for the prompt reply Renato. Unfortunately the topic you provided a link to has not helped. I installed Revo Uninstaller and used it to delete Money Manager EX, which I then reinstalled.

Same result I'm afraid. Money Manager EX seems to open the database (the file's timestamp is changed AND a backup is created) but there is no VISIBLE action, so I cannot see or amend my data.

This is a serious problem for me, although it is NOT urgent (strange dichotomy there) because I have another computer I can use in the short term.
Renato
MVP MMEX User

Post by Renato »

I suspect that there is still a portable MMEX version available and that it contains another version.
Probably the REVO Uninstaller will not delete this portable version and its link.
The portable version for MMEX should only be installed / used on a stick.
strongbow
New MMEX User

Post by strongbow »

Thanks once again Renato.

It seems unlikely that a portable version is the culprit - I have NEVER installed or used a portable version of the software.

I have no idea what to try next!
strongbow
New MMEX User

Post by strongbow »

Problem Solved (although I'm not sure how), but this is what I did:

Added the second computer to the network, so that both computers could "see" the same copy of the database; Uninstalled Money Manger (again) using Revo Pro; Removed the Money Manager installation file; Installed Money manager from a newly downloaded copy of the installation file; Started Money Manager and opened the existing database.

Bingo!

Thanks for you help Renato.
TimP58
New MMEX User

Post by TimP58 »

It may be a coincidence but I have just started to experience exactly the same symptoms as the OP has, of being unable to start MMEX successfully after being a user for more than 3 years. I have tried uninstalling and cleaning the registry with CCleaner and then doing a reinstall but the results are the same, the program appears to start but hovering over it on the taskbar just shows a small blank window.

My computer has just updated to windows 10 version 2004 which leads me to think this is somehow involved. Has anyone else had this experience?
Renato
MVP MMEX User

Post by Renato »

and what is under "Help / About
would be correct:
MMEX11.jpg
MMEX11.jpg (39.81 KiB) Viewed 4227 times

please read on here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9358
TimP58
New MMEX User

Post by TimP58 »

Renato since I can't open the program I can't read the help file.

I appreciate you are trying to help but the advice is a bit obscure. What I take away from this exchange is that the stable release v1.3.5 of MMEX will not run on the latest version of Windows 10? I don't understand the links to other posts about downgrading the db version, since I can't get the program to run I can't run the SQL script that has been provided.

I have downloaded the portable version of v1.3.5 and bizarrely it runs and works fine. It even has exactly information in the About windows as in your post.
Renato
MVP MMEX User

Post by Renato »

Delete C:\Users\YOUR-USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\MoneyManagerEx\mmexini.db3