Backup please

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

Tonaud
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Backup please

Post by Tonaud »

New User. How do I backup my accounts files? Thanks.
Renato
MVP MMEX User

Re: Backup please

Post by Renato »

Hello Tonaud

under tools/optionOthers you can find the settings for the backup.

Normally a user makes a backup of his personal data and therefore the current and the backup files of the MMEX database are also backed up.
Renato Forum Administrator
Tonaud
New MMEX User

Post by Tonaud »

Thanks. I cannot get to Options using the Route you suggest. There is no 'Options' under 'Tools'. I have found another way (via the MMEX tab) but when I go to 'Others' all that is there are two options of 'Create a New Backup when MMX Start (unchecked) and 'backup Dtabase on Exit' (which is checked).

There is no indication of the name or type of Backup File or location of it!?
Renato
MVP MMEX User

Post by Renato »

In Help it is written under 18.4 Others Panel:

Database Backup:Sets the way the backups are performed when MMEX starts. Create a new backup when MMEX Start:This copies the database to a new file with today'sdate, when MMEX Starts.The file will not be over written when MMEX startsup again. When there are more that 4 backup files,the oldest file is deleted.Backup database on exit:When MMEX shuts down, the existing database will becopied to a backup database file for that day whenchanges to the database have been detected. Whenchanges are made on the same day, the existingbackup is over written. When there are more that 4backup files, the oldest file is deleted.

The files are stored in the same directory as the database and have the format: name.mmb_update_YYY-mm-tt.mmb

by the way: in the 12 years I have been using MMEX, I have never needed the backup, MMEX is safe.
Tonaud
New MMEX User

Post by Tonaud »

Many thanks for your detailed response. It is appreciated. Much of the software's very easy to understand but, having 'suffered' many years ago with one program with poor/non-existent backup facility, I am a little paranoid now.. :D
Renato
MVP MMEX User

Post by Renato »

Thank you very much for the feedback.

A good backup solution/strategy for a PC is very useful.

A good description for Mac users is:
https://www.maclife.de/ratgeber/nummer- ... 89198.html
albeit in German, but with the chrome browser you can easily have it translated.