MMEX 1.3.3 not opening: MMEX Instance Check

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

fjcmurphy
Senior MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

MMEX 1.3.3 not opening: MMEX Instance Check

Post by fjcmurphy »

Hi!

I've installed the latest stable version
mmex_1.3.3_macos10.9-wx3.0.2build.dmg
on my Mac running macOS 10.12.6 (Sierra).

Whenever I'm starting MMEX I get the following error message:
"
MMEX Instance Check
MMEX is already running...
Multiple instances are no longer supported.
"

I've checked the Activity Monitor and have also restarted and reinstalled MMEX several times; but I don't see that any MMEX instance is actually running on my machine. MMEX is simply not starting up.

I have no idea what caused the issue and I'm not able to find an older version of MMEX which is not crashing.

Does anyone know what I could do please?

Thank you for your help. I really need to access my financial records which I've built up over years now.

Regards,
Frank
omalleypat
Super MMEX User

Re: MMEX 1.3.3 not opening: MMEX Instance Check

Post by omalleypat »

What was the previous version that you were using?
fjcmurphy
Senior MMEX User

Post by fjcmurphy »

omalleypat wrote:What was the previous version that you were using?
I don't fully remember; but I have the tendency to use MMEX regularly and do always update apps to the latest stable versions if updates are available. I would guess really the previous stable version for macOS.

After I've received the error message:
- I've fully uninstalled the app (using AppCleaner) and reinstalled it: no change in Error message
- I've tried to downgrade to v1.3.0, v1.3.1, or v1.2.7: either no change in Error message or there was a message that I could not open the file due to corruption
omalleypat
Super MMEX User

Post by omalleypat »

Could you please try to run it off the disk image (don’t drag it to the applications folder)?
fjcmurphy
Senior MMEX User

Post by fjcmurphy »

Yes! That works and I can also load my MMEX DB. Yeah :)

Would you know how to fix the issue then and how to install it properly?

Thank you.
omalleypat
Super MMEX User

Post by omalleypat »

Honestly, that was a bit of a shot in the dark. Glad it worked though. I haven’t heard any other reports of that error and I am not getting it on my system, so it is hard to tell what the problem is on your system. Do you typically open from the Applications folder, launchpad or dock?
fjcmurphy
Senior MMEX User

Post by fjcmurphy »

omalleypat wrote:Honestly, that was a bit of a shot in the dark. Glad it worked though. I haven’t heard any other reports of that error and I am not getting it on my system, so it is hard to tell what the problem is on your system. Do you typically open from the Applications folder, launchpad or dock?
I have all my apps in the Application folder and open them typically via Spotlight Search. But I also get the error message when I open it directly from the Application folder or via a terminal.
fjcmurphy
Senior MMEX User

Post by fjcmurphy »

What a strange problem.

How I've installed the MMEX in the past:
- I've double clicked mmex_1.3.3_macos10.9-wx3.0.2build.dmg and then
- moved (in the opened window) the MMEX icon to the right to the Applications folder icon (link alias)
This lead to the error.

Your trick, just opening the MMEX app directly from the mapped drive kinda "motivated" me to install the app not via the above mentioned opened shell, but move the MMEX icon directly to the Applications folder.

This seemed to have worked! Now I can normally start the MMEX app. No clue what the issue is/was.

Thank you for your help and support!!
dalancer
New MMEX User

Post by dalancer »

Catch same problem today. Just out of the blue. 1.2.7 works fine. Anything above that just crash with a Instance check curse.

Running from disk image doesn't help. Installing, re-installing, deleting too. Need help. I can't use 1.2.7 because of custom fields in newer versions.

Thanks!
LexGary1
New MMEX User

Post by LexGary1 »

Just to add my "me too". Something changed in the past few weeks. I am on MacOS 10.13.5 (17F77)

When I try to launch mmex the icon does appear, and it is possible to command-tab over to it, but nothing is there. The name appears in the menu bar but there are no options, and it is not possible to quit. It does appear in activity manager. The only way to get rid of mmex as an active process is to kill it in activity manager.

some sort of security feature in MacOS??

I am been using the windows version in W10 through VMWare on the mac. That works well.

thanks for a great product!