How to prepare CSV for importing transfers

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

michaelsoth
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

How to prepare CSV for importing transfers

Post by michaelsoth »

I have just started the process of switching from Quicken 2016 to Money Manager Ex.
After using Quicken for many years, in recent years they really made life impossible, especially in terms of importing (where they dropped 90% of their customers who were relying on qif and changed to an esoteric version of OFX/QFX).
So in comparison, I love the customisable import feature of Money Manager Ex.
I have had no problem with importing CSV's, in terms of deposits and withdrawals.

However, is there a good way of importing transfers, so they do not need manual editing after import?
I couldn't find anything in the help files or the manual. How can a indicate in the CSV that the transaction is a transfer, and the account it is linked to?
I tried changing the Payee to the name of the from account: >from-account, but that didn't work, or at least it was not sufficient.
Is there a way of doing this?
Thank you so much for any help ...
Michael
maneuss
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: How to prepare CSV for importing transfers

Post by maneuss »

Hi,
I´m also a newbie (since yesterday) - but i already have imported some data.

As a german the only problem was that german number formats aren´t parsed correctly so - if you are using a currency with "," as a decimal point and "." for grouping the digits as in 1.000,00 then you will have problems when importing csv-data.

i used the csv-import dialog, selected the correct date format "DD.MM.YYYY", which can also be set in the options, and corrected my csv-file (with numbers) to eliminate the grouping "." which caused the import problem (1000,00 will be ok but not 1.000,00). All else was no problem using the dialog, assigning the appropriate fields.

Now I´m searching for a way to batch-categorise my imported entries - didn´t find any up to now.

With best regards

Martin
michaelsoth wrote:I have just started the process of switching from Quicken 2016 to Money Manager Ex.
After using Quicken for many years, in recent years they really made life impossible, especially in terms of importing (where they dropped 90% of their customers who were relying on qif and changed to an esoteric version of OFX/QFX).
So in comparison, I love the customisable import feature of Money Manager Ex.
I have had no problem with importing CSV's, in terms of deposits and withdrawals.

However, is there a good way of importing transfers, so they do not need manual editing after import?
I couldn't find anything in the help files or the manual. How can a indicate in the CSV that the transaction is a transfer, and the account it is linked to?
I tried changing the Payee to the name of the from account: >from-account, but that didn't work, or at least it was not sufficient.
Is there a way of doing this?
Thank you so much for any help ...
Michael