PC to Macbook transfer

Page 1 of 1
5 posts
PC to Macbook transfer

warslet
New MMEX User

Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:53 am
Would someone be able to assist me with how I transfer from a Windows 10 PC to a Macbook pro. I'm confused with the file types and need to know the process on how to changeover. Ive opened a new database on the Mac but that's about it. Thank you.
Re: PC to Macbook transfer

siowena
Super MMEX User

Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:04 am
warslet wrote:Would someone be able to assist me with how I transfer from a Windows 10 PC to a Macbook pro. I'm confused with the file types and need to know the process on how to changeover. Ive opened a new database on the Mac but that's about it. Thank you.


Do you still have access to the PC?

I assume you are moving across from PC to MAC but staying with the same version of MMEX 1.3.3

On the PC

> If so, then locate the file MMEX database file(s) (*.mmb) - this contains the accounts, transactions, reports, etc.

> Also locate the file mmexini.db3 - this file has the configurations/options and import/export specs among other things stored.

On the MAC

> Install MMEX
- Copy the mmb files from the PC and put in a directory in the users Documents (create a directory if you want e.g. My Finances)
- locate the mmexini.db3 files on the MAC - this is likely in the MMEX folder in the Applications area. Rename is mmexini.db3.MAC and then copy the one from the PC into the same place.
- Start MMEX and open a existing DB - find the mmb file you put into Documents area and open it.
Re: PC to Macbook transfer

warslet
New MMEX User

Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:53 am
Thank you for your reply Slowena.

I still have the PC and am looking to install the same version. I tried the migration assistant but didn't seem to work.

When copying the file(s) can I do by external hard drive or USB? I like Money Manager EX but not an expert in this type of thing.
Re: PC to Macbook transfer

siowena
Super MMEX User

Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:04 am
warslet wrote:Thank you for your reply Slowena.

I still have the PC and am looking to install the same version. I tried the migration assistant but didn't seem to work.

When copying the file(s) can I do by external hard drive or USB? I like Money Manager EX but not an expert in this type of thing.


As you've already installed MMEX for the mmb files and the mmexini.db3 just use a USB/External drive. I copy the mmb files back and forth between a MAC, a Win10 PC and a 'work' Win7 laptop all the time.

Just make sure MMEX is not running when you replace mmexini.db3 and when you close MMEX I think it writes back.

(To be honest, I wasn't aware there was a migration feature :) )
Re: PC to Macbook transfer

warslet
New MMEX User

Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:53 am
siowena wrote:
warslet wrote:Thank you for your reply Slowena.

I still have the PC and am looking to install the same version. I tried the migration assistant but didn't seem to work.

When copying the file(s) can I do by external hard drive or USB? I like Money Manager EX but not an expert in this type of thing.


As you've already installed MMEX for the mmb files and the mmexini.db3 just use a USB/External drive. I copy the mmb files back and forth between a MAC, a Win10 PC and a 'work' Win7 laptop all the time.

Just make sure MMEX is not running when you replace mmexini.db3 and when you close MMEX I think it writes back.

(To be honest, I wasn't aware there was a migration feature :) )



Thank you for your help and responding so quickly. MMEX is now on my MacBook.
Page 1 of 1
Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest