[SOLVED] PC to Macbook transfer

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

warslet
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

[SOLVED] PC to Macbook transfer

Post by warslet »

Would someone be able to assist me with how I transfer from a Windows 10 PC to a Macbook pro. I'm confused with the file types and need to know the process on how to changeover. Ive opened a new database on the Mac but that's about it. Thank you.
siowena
Super MMEX User

Re: PC to Macbook transfer

Post by siowena »

warslet wrote:Would someone be able to assist me with how I transfer from a Windows 10 PC to a Macbook pro. I'm confused with the file types and need to know the process on how to changeover. Ive opened a new database on the Mac but that's about it. Thank you.
Do you still have access to the PC?

I assume you are moving across from PC to MAC but staying with the same version of MMEX 1.3.3

On the PC

> If so, then locate the file MMEX database file(s) (*.mmb) - this contains the accounts, transactions, reports, etc.

> Also locate the file mmexini.db3 - this file has the configurations/options and import/export specs among other things stored.

On the MAC

> Install MMEX
- Copy the mmb files from the PC and put in a directory in the users Documents (create a directory if you want e.g. My Finances)
- locate the mmexini.db3 files on the MAC - this is likely in the MMEX folder in the Applications area. Rename is mmexini.db3.MAC and then copy the one from the PC into the same place.
- Start MMEX and open a existing DB - find the mmb file you put into Documents area and open it.
warslet
New MMEX User

Post by warslet »

Thank you for your reply Slowena.

I still have the PC and am looking to install the same version. I tried the migration assistant but didn't seem to work.

When copying the file(s) can I do by external hard drive or USB? I like Money Manager EX but not an expert in this type of thing.
siowena
Super MMEX User

Post by siowena »

warslet wrote:Thank you for your reply Slowena.

I still have the PC and am looking to install the same version. I tried the migration assistant but didn't seem to work.

When copying the file(s) can I do by external hard drive or USB? I like Money Manager EX but not an expert in this type of thing.
As you've already installed MMEX for the mmb files and the mmexini.db3 just use a USB/External drive. I copy the mmb files back and forth between a MAC, a Win10 PC and a 'work' Win7 laptop all the time.

Just make sure MMEX is not running when you replace mmexini.db3 and when you close MMEX I think it writes back.

(To be honest, I wasn't aware there was a migration feature :) )
warslet
New MMEX User

Post by warslet »

siowena wrote:
warslet wrote:Thank you for your reply Slowena.

As you've already installed MMEX for the mmb files and the mmexini.db3 just use a USB/External drive. I copy the mmb files back and forth between a MAC, a Win10 PC and a 'work' Win7 laptop all the time.

Just make sure MMEX is not running when you replace mmexini.db3 and when you close MMEX I think it writes back.

(To be honest, I wasn't aware there was a migration feature :) )

Thank you for your help and responding so quickly. MMEX is now on my MacBook.
Tanker5455
New MMEX User

Post by Tanker5455 »

Thanks, I transferred my data to a Macbook as well like this and it's all working fine! Man, it's not always you can get so much compatibility from one platform to another, especially when you need to transfer your files as well...
WinnieBarragan
New MMEX User

Re: [SOLVED] PC to Macbook transfer

Post by WinnieBarragan »

I run resilio on all my machines and sync gb's without effort.