Running 1.01, also latest version 1.3.5 separately folder

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

ccwking
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Running 1.01, also latest version 1.3.5 separately folder

Post by ccwking »

Currently running 1.01 as my 'live' version, but installed the latest new version after running the fix on the latest update from Terminal line and then applying the update to 1.3.5
Files were copied from the 1.01 version into a new folder, and then new version launched, using the copy of the database, which was fine, however every time I quit, I get this error.
New folder was created under my account (admin), files also copied into the new folder under my account (admin), when opening MMEX, ensured it tried to open the copy of the files in the new copied folder, 1.01 is still fine, 1.3.5 opens fine, and all data is ok, ran optimize, but this error occurs each time I quit.

This is running on Apple Mac - Catalina - 10.15.6

17:53:45: File '/Users/<name>/Documents/Personal Accounts - NEW/Personal Accounts.mmb_start_2016-02-29.mmb_update_2020-07-22.mmb' couldn't be removed (error 1: Operation not permitted)
17:53:45: Impossible to overwrite the file '/Users/<name>/Documents/Personal Accounts - NEW/Personal Accounts.mmb_start_2016-02-29.mmb_update_2020-07-22.mmb' (error 0: Undefined error: 0)
17:53:45: Cannot enumerate files '/Users/<name>/Documents/Personal Accounts - NEW/Personal Accounts.mmb_start_2016-02-29.mmb_update_*.mmb' (error 1: Operation not permitted)
ccwking
New MMEX User

Re: Running 1.01, also latest version 1.3.5 separately folder

Post by ccwking »

Just wondered if there was any update or feedback on this, as I still cant run the latest version in its own folder?
Renato
MVP MMEX User

Post by Renato »

Freeware is just freeware and is as it is.
But every user is free to make changes under features Request.

By the way, I find in the license of MMEX:
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
See the GNU General Public License for more details.
Renato Forum Administrator
Nikolay
MMEX Developer

Post by Nikolay »

I think you should open the "Personal Accounts.mmb" file by mmex interface.
Other files are backup copies of the "Personal Accounts.mmb".

That file is a copy of a copy.
This is possible because you once opened a copy of the file instead of the main file.
I recommend to close mmex app then delete all *.mmb files except "Personal Accounts.mmb".
When mmex would be started a backup file "Personal Accounts.mmb_start_2020-08-*.mmb" will be added to the same folder where the main .mmb file stored. Do not use backup file when mmex started.

Regarding error 1: Operation not permitted
At startup mmex trying to delete outdated backup file but can't delete it. Seems it protected on OS level.
ccwking
New MMEX User

Post by ccwking »

Renato wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:27 am Freeware is just freeware and is as it is.
But every user is free to make changes under features Request.

By the way, I find in the license of MMEX:
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
See the GNU General Public License for more details.
I realise this, but was upgrading to the newer version, as been using the older version for years and never had issues, never even knew the newer version was out, it looks like a DB issue and wondered if it was a bug or something and if anyone could help with the issue.
ccwking
New MMEX User

Post by ccwking »

Nikolay wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:56 am I think you should open the "Personal Accounts.mmb" file by mmex interface.
Other files are backup copies of the "Personal Accounts.mmb".

That file is a copy of a copy.
This is possible because you once opened a copy of the file instead of the main file.
I recommend to close mmex app then delete all *.mmb files except "Personal Accounts.mmb".
When mmex would be started a backup file "Personal Accounts.mmb_start_2020-08-*.mmb" will be added to the same folder where the main .mmb file stored. Do not use backup file when mmex started.

Regarding error 1: Operation not permitted
At startup mmex trying to delete outdated backup file but can't delete it. Seems it protected on OS level.
Ok, I dived into the Personal Accounts - NEW folder and deleted all except the Personal Accounts.mmb, but still get same error, do I need to take a new copy from the 1.01 to the folder and start again?