Stocks and shares

Moderator: Renato

didikrm
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Stocks and shares

Post by didikrm »

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum. I realise that it's not currently very active, but I am hoping that this will help new users how to set up stock portfolios on this amazing app!

I have followed the instruction in the documentation on how to create a stock portfolio and how to add shares to them. However, I needed to create a cash account which is used to purchase those shares and receive dividends or funds when the shares are sold. I think having a cash account is how broker accounts work in that they are used directly to store the funds.

Following this approach means that the shares transactions originate from the broker (cash) account rather than the stock shares (as explained in the guide). So in my example, the "account" would the cash broker account rather than the shares account (see screenshot: https://ibb.co/qFLbL0Z).

As a result of this, when I click on any shares on the left menu, I see the content of the accounts that link to them rather than the list of purchases, dividends and sale made. I am curious if others use the same approach when reproducing the structure of their broker accounts.

My other question is about how to handle close positions (not just partial but sell all shares from a single company/ETF). At the moment, I create a dummy payee called "Closed positions" and replace all existing actions of purchases/sales/dividend related to that stock into deposits and withdrawals from/to the broker (cash) account, then delete the share account. Again, I am curious to know how other users handle such scenarios.

Thanks in advance for your inputs. Hopefully, this will be helpful for other looking to use MMEx to track their stock investments.
Nikolay
MMEX Developer

Re: Stocks and shares

Post by Nikolay »

didikrm
New MMEX User

Post by didikrm »

Thanks Nikolay. I know that you are working on some great enhancements to the app. I am not a coder, but I can help with the testing when it's ready.

I was just trying to see if and how others use MMEX to actively manage their stock holdings.

Looking forward to v2.
jsantacana
New MMEX User

Post by jsantacana »

Hello.
I am very happy with version 1.3.6, so thank you very much.
However I cannot use Investment accounts stocks and shares because they don't work properly.
I can't wait for the new version 2.0 hopping it will work well with Investment accounts.
Nikolay
MMEX Developer

Post by Nikolay »

May this video would help?

jsantacana
New MMEX User

Post by jsantacana »

Thank you so much Nikolay.
I really do appreciate your help. Perhaps I don't know how to work with them.
I am going to follow slowly the steps showed on the video.
Abramoluna1
New MMEX User

Post by Abramoluna1 »

I have been fearing investing from stock but this is really the way!
Thanks pal!
Nickallington
New MMEX User

Post by Nickallington »

Hi all
I have trouble with this too. I think the stocks and shares part is the weakest element of MMEX, which is otherwise a very useful tool. I have trouble setting it up if I already have stocks, as no money is transferred in to start the process, and I don't want to go back and record 20 years of data to facilitate it. Also, there are problems when, as happened with me, a companyI held with shares in EUR was taken over by an American company, so I now have an equivalent holding in USD, or another EUR one which was taken private by a UK company, so I received a lump of cash in GBP. And dividends? I have not found a way to manage dividends that are paid directly into a personal bank account, and not via a broker account. Interest? Bonds are not covered at all. They pay interest rather than dividends, and though I use the dividend option, they are taxed differently, meaning I have to separate them out in reports. Distributions from unit trusts/mutual funds are also not included, whether reinvested or taken out as cash, and scrip dividends and share splits are also missing.This whole area is where a lot of simplification and user-friendly logic seems to be needed, or at the least, some more comprehensive user documentation. I look forward to any improvements you can all come up with!
Renato
MVP MMEX User

Post by Renato »

Renato Forum Administrator
BohoRex
New MMEX User

Post by BohoRex »

I'd LOVE to see a fresh "how to" video or instructions on setting up a fresh investment portfolio...

i.e.: Initial setup of a broker account ( such as Fidelity ) - then showing in MMEx how to make the transfer of funds from my bank account already set up - to Fidelity - then the individual stocks purchased on each transaction. (Fidelity does this as a money-market cash account to hold funds til I choose what stocks/mutual funds to purchase within my IRA account with Fidelity)

The YT video presumes prior setup of that (from what I can see) - and with it being a new year - it's a prime time to start fresh (for me)... I have setup an investment account in MMEx - that had an initial cash balance - but I can see no way to transfer that cash to stock (or mutual fund) purchases... when I add transactions - it simply adds to the balance - making it look like I have 2x the money that's really there (doesn't move it from the initial balance to have made the purchases). I see no option to transfer funds from one account to another for a stock transaction to be made.

I've played with MMex for several hours - and for the life of me - just can't figure out how to handle those transfers and then the mutual fund purchases... and have it show up correctly in MMex

Win 64-bit version 1.6.2