Money Manager Ex Development related posts for both Android and Desktop

Moderator: Renato

hmaac
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Cash Flow Forecast

Post by hmaac »

Hi,

About to 2 years ago I wanted to develop an application like MMEX (in Java or C# - I'm a Java developer) because I wanted a (free) simple personal finance software with some basic features, user friendly, etc. Then I found this app...

I've been using MMEX since then and I'm quite happy, but I always missed one feature. Cash Flow Forecast being limited to 12 months is a little annoying, there should be an option to forecast more. So I decided to get the source and take a look.

The idea is to click in the Cash Flow option and a dialog pops up and asks for how many years do we want to forecast. We choose between 1 and 5 years (looks reasonable) and then the report is shown. I attached 2 screenshots to show what I mean.

If you think this is interesting and want to include it in the app, I can provide the code (bear with me, I'm a Java developer :D probably it could be done in a better way).

Cheers

PS - I have other ideas to the app, including another cash flow report with a calendar view.
Attachments
screen1.JPG
(78.37 KiB) Downloaded 1531 times
screen2.JPG
(97.66 KiB) Downloaded 1530 times
Last edited by hmaac on Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nhok
New MMEX User

Re: Cash Flow Forecast

Post by nhok »

Hello hmaac,

I just started to use MMex some days ago, the feature you mentioned would be really great.

Would it be possible to use a user defined starting date (independent from the actuall day). I think the date, where the subtotal will be calculated, has an important impact on the values one see. If the subtotal will be calculated shortly after one receives the monthly income, the situation looks much brighter, as when is is calculated just before the monthly incomes is transfer to the account. So it would be very useful to set these date individually.

I would have great interest to use the changes you made to the source code.

best regards
Bernhard
hmaac
New MMEX User

Post by hmaac »

Hello Bernhard,

You're right and I also think that way, it was my first approach. I changed the code so now there's a pop-up asking for the number of years to forecast and the initial date. If the initial date is today it has the same behavior as the official version, if it is in the future the first date in the forecast is that same date.
Take a look at the screenshots.

If this changes are welcome I can provide the code. I can also send the (Windows) installer of this version (I made a checkout from the trunk) to anyone that wants it.

Cheers,

Henrique Craveiro
Attachments
screen3.JPG
(78.65 KiB) Downloaded 1495 times
screen4.JPG
(97.04 KiB) Downloaded 1494 times
nhok
New MMEX User

Post by nhok »

Hello Henrique Craveiro,

the changes look really nice!

Just not to be misunderstund, I am in no way involved with the money manager ex project, I am just a new user of mmex, so I can only speak for myself, and I really appreciate your changes. So, it would be very nice, if you would send the changes of code to me as a private message, or attach them to a message in this forum.

best regards
Bernhard
hmaac
New MMEX User

Post by hmaac »

Hi Bernhard,

I sent the patch in this thread.

Regards,

Henrique