Subversion EOL issue

Money Manager Ex Development related posts for both Android and Desktop

Moderator: Renato

omalleypat
Super User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Subversion EOL issue

Post by omalleypat »

Wes and I bumped into a small issue last night that I think can be attributed to EOL (end-of-line) characters handling in subversion. I had noticed some wacky behavior with diff before but I finally figured it out. When I was making patches to send to Nikolay, there would frequently be lines that were reported as changed, but on looking at the diff, they appeared to be the same. I knew I didn't change those particular lines in the file, so I just deleted them from the diff for the patches. In Wes' last commit, the file /src/util.cpp was committed, even though he didn't really make any changes. Last night, I had a little ah-ha moment and decided to check the EOL characters. It turns out that it is due to differences in end-of-line characters used by XCode (Mac IDE) and some other editor used by one of the other developers. For example, if you run:

Code: Select all

svn diff -c 649 util.cpp
it will report a ton of changes, but it appears that nothing is really changed looking at the diff (the -c # option by the way is to do a diff based on what was changed for a specific revision number, in this case 649, in case anyone is unfamiliar). That is because the EOL character has changed. You can verify that it is EOL business by running:

svn diff -c 649 -x --ignore-eol-style util.cpp
which will show no differences.

I propose we set the subversion EOL style property (I guess to "native") so we can stop this from being an issue. See this: http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07s02.html (scroll down to svn:eol-style. I think this should solve our problem and prevent future superfluous commits from everyone.
Vadim
Super User

Re: Subversion EOL issue

Post by Vadim »

I've set svn:eol-style for trunk files.

Also good idea for developers who commit to svn modify theirs Subversion's config file and uncomment next lines for section
### 'enable-auto-props' option.
*.c = svn:eol-style=native
*.cpp = svn:eol-style=native
*.h = svn:eol-style=native

and for others files which use in MMEX
madhan
Site Admin

Post by madhan »

Where is this configuration setup for TortoiseSVN in Windows?
Vadim
Super User

Post by Vadim »

%APPDATA%\Subversion\config for svn. I think this will be enough.
Vadim
Super User

Post by Vadim »

I have applied svn:eol-style for 0.9.5 branch (only to .cpp & .h sources in include and src).
omalleypat
Super User

Post by omalleypat »

Vadim,

Good point. The Mac/Linux config file is at ~/.subversion/config. Just to clarify, you also need to uncomment the enable-autoprops=yes line itself. Mine looks like this:

### Set enable-auto-props to 'yes' to enable automatic properties
### for 'svn add' and 'svn import', it defaults to 'no'.
### Automatic properties are defined in the section 'auto-props'.
enable-auto-props = yes

### Section for configuring automatic properties.
[auto-props]
### The format of the entries is:
###   file-name-pattern = propname[=value][;propname[=value]...]
### The file-name-pattern can contain wildcards (such as '*' and
### '?').  All entries which match will be applied to the file.
### Note that auto-props functionality must be enabled, which
### is typically done by setting the 'enable-auto-props' option.
*.c = svn:eol-style=native
*.cpp = svn:eol-style=native
*.h = svn:eol-style=native
Vadim
Super User

Post by Vadim »

Yes, you are right :-)
omalleypat
Super User

Post by omalleypat »

I was just poking around the repository for something unrelated and I found tools/eolfix.exe. Should we get rid of that? If it does what I think, it should be unnecessary.
Vadim
Super User

Post by Vadim »

Personally I did not use it at all. I have full suite of software from GnuWin32 which includes dos2unix & unix2dos. I think such programs as eolfix.exe unnecessary in svn and should be deleted. I added upx.exe only because it uses in our makefiles and thus must be always available.
elliswr
Super User

Post by elliswr »

Yeah, so note to self: If you are using Xcode for managing SVN, do not put native for the type. I don't know what to put yet, but making these changes to the subversion config file absolutely breaks SVN in Xcode 3.2.1

I'll update when I find out a fix.
elliswr
Super User

Post by elliswr »

Okay, so just for the poor soul searching the internet ten months from now trying to figure out why he is getting error message 200005...

Very descriytive huh?

At any rate, config files count white space, so when you delete the # signs to uncomment the file, make sure that enable-auto-prop and all is at the actual beginning of the line in the config file.

Man that was a wasted hour of my life I'll never get back. Why does apple half-@$$ the SCM plugin they put in Xcode? I really want Versions, but $50 for a program to use to work on the open source Money Management app we work on is just... uneconomical. :)

Cheers Everyone!
elliswr
Super User

Post by elliswr »

So get this, change to the working directory of the project and do svn status. The following is the mutant bunny staring you in the face:

svn: This client is too old to work with working copy '.'; please get a newer Subversion client