Coming changes in trunk

Money Manager Ex Development related posts for both Android and Desktop

Moderator: Renato

elliswr
Super MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: Coming changes in trunk

Post by elliswr »

Vadim what do you think about my idea for using wxStandardPaths?
Vadim
Super MMEX User

Post by Vadim »

wxStandardPaths must be used :-) I knew about this class.
Vadim
Super MMEX User

Post by Vadim »

I have already done most of described changes in sources. So, mmex installs in %ProgramFiles%, mmexini.db3 home is %USERPROFILE%. This perfectly works on Windows, but I didn't have enough time to complete this task for Unix. MMEX doesn't work on Unix at the moment. I will fix this issue on this weekends.
Vadim
Super MMEX User

Post by Vadim »

So, I added src\paths.h with helper functions to get locations of mmex's files and dirs. All sources modified to use this new API. Three new implementations of this API added in src\win\platfdep.cpp, src\unix\platfdep.cpp and src\mac\platfdep.cpp. No more #ifdef -s!!!
Mac developers should modify mac\platfdep.cpp in case of some problems with my default implementation. I can't test on Mac. Also you should change build and install scripts for Mac. I did it in bakefile's scripts for win and unix.
Vadim
Super MMEX User

Post by Vadim »

Also these changes broke mmex's portability (ability to run from flash drive, for example). I will fix portability later. We can just build special "portable" version of mmex or use the same installation and some tricks. This issue is investigated :-)
omalleypat
Super MMEX User

Post by omalleypat »

Wes or I will have to look into this, on mac the ~/Library/Application Support/MoneyManagerEx directory is created with the wrong permissions:

Code: Select all

dr----x--x   2 pom   pom     68 Nov 25 08:24 MoneyManagerEx
This leads to a can't open database error in mmex.cpp OnInitImpl

Code: Select all

inidb.Open(mmex::getPathUser(mmex::SETTINGS));
Just putting this here as a reminder...
Vadim
Super MMEX User

Post by Vadim »

I forgot to modify default path for new database. Surely, this should be user's home directory as ~/.mmex on Unix or ~./MoneyManagerEx (?) on Mac.

~/Library/Application Support/MoneyManagerEx must be read-only for user so no error here.
elliswr
Super MMEX User

Post by elliswr »

we'll probably end up making it ~/Documents or ~/Documents/MMEX. It is best not to use a hidden folder on a mac, that is a filename with a . in front of it, because this is not visible in the default file viewer (Finder). Doing it this way would require the user to open the terminal if they wanted to delete the directory or database.
Vadim
Super MMEX User

Post by Vadim »

In user home directory should be only database and mmexini.db3. All others files should be shared among all users as others applications' files (for Unix, such paths are /usr/lib/mmex, /usr/share/doc/mmex ). In ~/.mmex should resides mmexini.db3 and this normal that this folder is hidden. But database can be created in directory which user will select and default dir can be ~.
omalleypat
Super MMEX User

Post by omalleypat »

Vadim wrote:I forgot to modify default path for new database. Surely, this should be user's home directory as ~/.mmex on Unix or ~./MoneyManagerEx (?) on Mac.

~/Library/Application Support/MoneyManagerEx must be read-only for user so no error here.
I think that ~/Library/Application Support/MoneyManagerEx is fine for the mmexini.db3, but what I'm saying is that the code wouldn't work until I changed the permissions. After adding write permission to the ~/Library/Application Support/MoneyManagerEx folder, it created the inidb and everything was ok.