Payee default category enhancements

Discuss New Feature Requests and Enhancements to Money Manager Ex

Moderator: Renato

Post Reply
pmex
New MMEX User
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:22 pm
Are you a spam bot?: No

Payee default category enhancements

Post by pmex »

Hello,

first, thank you for this great piece of software. I enjoy using mmex to manage my personal finances. I like the ability to have default categories configured for each payee wich are used when importing a bunch of transactions.
But when finetuning the imported entries I have one behavior that is not optimal in my opinion:
When editing the category of a single transaction the (previously assinged) default payee category also changes. This is often not what I wanted. I have cases where the default is right for 95% of the transactions, and for the other 5% I want to modify the category. After editing a single transaction I always have to go to the payee diaolog and change the default category back to the old value or the next import will be wrong.

It would be great, If there would be an option to don't override existing payee default category when editing single transactions. This could be in the editing transaction screen to decide each time, or a global option in the general settings dialog.
transactions.JPG
transactions.JPG (35.41 KiB) Viewed 799 times
And I am missing a way to remove an existing default category from a payee. Once a category is assigned, this can not be reverted.

The last thing I request would be the ability to order the columns of the "Organize Payee" Screen. When managing a large number of payees, it would be great to have the list ordered by the category column, to check the defaults before doing a large import.
payee.JPG
payee.JPG (39.98 KiB) Viewed 799 times
It would be nice if these requests could be consired. The column sorting should be a small thing?

Thank you!
Phil
dbolton
MVP MMEX User
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:24 pm
Are you a spam bot?: No
Contact:

Re: Payee default category enhancements

Post by dbolton »

I also wish the default payee didn't change when I change it for one transaction.

In Tools > Options > Others > Default category I tried setting it to "None", but that didn't change this behavior. I'm not sure what that setting changes.
whall3y
MMEX Developer
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:44 pm
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: Payee default category enhancements

Post by whall3y »

Yes, think it would be good to support a 'Default for payee' option in addition to 'Last used for payee'.

If 'Default for payee' is selected then the value against the payee would not be changed if the default is overridden - only way to change it would be via the 'Organize Payees' dialog.

Feature request raised on Github - https://github.com/moneymanagerex/money ... ssues/3711
whall3y
MMEX Developer
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:44 pm
Are you a spam bot?: No

Re: Payee default category enhancements

Post by whall3y »

dbolton
MVP MMEX User
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:24 pm
Are you a spam bot?: No
Contact:

Re: Payee default category enhancements

Post by dbolton »

Thank you whall3y. I tried the test build. With this option turned on, it works great for me. Any thoughts on making this the default option? Either way, I'm happy!
Post Reply