Transaction Reports: Searching for Text String w/in Notes

Discuss New Feature Requests and Enhancements to Money Manager Ex

Moderator: Renato

Wirmike
Super MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Transaction Reports: Searching for Text String w/in Notes

Post by Wirmike »

It has been a constant mystery to me that it is not possible to produce a Transaction Report, solely by searching for a match in the Transaction Notes field.
It seems that searching for a text match needs to be associated with maybe a choice of a particular account.
Also, it seems that it is not possible to do a ‘deep search’ w/in the Notes field. For example, how many times have I searched (in vain) for say an order reference, or a name - either not at the start of the Notes field, but somewhere further on towards the end of the field? Really frustrating!
Proposal
=======
1: That a Transaction Report be generated JUST by selecting a search on the Notes field.
2: That a text-string search be possible WHATEVER the position of that string in the field.
END
Nikolay
MMEX Developer

Re: Transaction Reports: Searching for Text String w/in Notes

Post by Nikolay »

Wirmike
Super MMEX User

Post by Wirmike »

Many thanks to Nikolay who pointed to a post by Renato 30SEP20. The placeholders in that post seemed to have problems with the version of MMEX I was using as I couldn’t seem to get any of them to work. Then, thinking back to my CP/M days I tried the asterisk (sorry, star) route. It only works as if the search was searching for ANY text before and after. And there it is - it seems to fill the bill.
Also working is the same syntax when applied to the ‘Search’ box for the next nearest entry at the bottom of the Accounts View panel!

Suddenly, MMEX as made a huge leap forward (for me), as the entire file’s Notes are now searchable - easily. Finding those particular transactions that contain that important keyword has transformed an accounting database into a form of diary. It can now answer those nagging questions from the family, such as, “When did we last eat at the Dome at Hilarys and who had what?”. The notes have now become more useful and valuable - a business and a leisure resource.

Suggestion:
Either:
1: Add a short, pithy reminder of the syntax needed for the text search in the Reports window and Accounts View panel
ie: *Find this* or
2: Add code to automatically surround a text-string search w/- a pair of asterisks.

Thank you for your inspiration Nikolay and Renato.

Ps. The revamped look to the product looks rather nice. Also the start-up screen is informative. But, most of all, the installation process is now transformed. Well done.

Thank you
Nikolay
MMEX Developer

Post by Nikolay »

Wirmike
Super MMEX User

Post by Wirmike »

Many thanks to Nikolay for referring me to the search issue ‘2683’ all those versions back. It is good that the search facility now seems to be a reliable ‘fixture”!
Of interest to the Forum, maybe, is that I have tried the same search method in the Number field. It works there as well: search for say a job reference that may be somewhere in the middle of the field - and it will be found.
Eg. Search for *046578* will find “BC CHQ:0046578 replaces CASH SALE”.
In reality, the Number field can be another Notes field, albeit w/- an intended narrower remit, maybe?
MMEX has just, for me, become even more usable!
Thank you, Nikolay et al.