Question on how to reconcile an account

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

JustGreg
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Question on how to reconcile an account

Post by JustGreg »

I am new to Money Manager EX.  I have used Quicken for a number of years and want to transition from it.  I normally use it with Wine and Linux (Fatdog64). 

The problem I have is: how does one reconcile an account.  I do understand that one can view all the transactions that have not been reconciled with the viewing button on the account page.   One can also mark a particular transaction as being reconciled with the status button or the key short cut of the "r" key.   But, how does one enter the new reconciled balance from the statement.  Is there a function that tracks the difference between what transactions have marked as reconciled and the differences from previous month reconciled balance and new reconciled balance.  If there is a difference between the values (i.e. too many have been marked or there is an error in the amount of a transaction), then it is easy to know there is an error.

If there is a FAQ or other web  page that has the answer, please point me to it.  

Here is some additional information on what I am using: Money Manager EX for 64 bit Linux, version 0.9.9.0.     I have been starting mmex in a terminal window to catch any errors.  I do get this one, which does not cause a failure:
(mmex:2482): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_get_direction: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

Thank you in advance for help on this.
JustGreg
New MMEX User

Re: Question on how to reconcile an account: Solved

Post by JustGreg »

I answered this myself by experimenting with the transactions.  Yes, Money Manager EX has an intuitive interface.  But, everyone's intuition is not the same.  Here is an explanation for another new user.  Hopefully, it will be of help.

To Reconcile:

1.  On the account page, make sure the Account Reconciled Balance is equal to the financial statement's starting balance.

2. Use the view button to view "All Transaction Actions Except Reconciled"

3. Marked the reported transactions on the financial statement as reconciled by selecting the transaction and press the "r" key.  They should be all shown.  If not, then enter a new transaction for the item.

4. After all items on the financial statement have been done, check to see if the Account Reconciled Balance is equal to the ending balance of the financial statement.  The balances are not equal then there is an error.
dzalcman
New MMEX User

Re: Question on how to reconcile an account

Post by dzalcman »

JustGreg, thank you.  With regards to your point 2 about changing the view, do you know if there is a way to force this view type to be the default view type, rather than having to select it each time you open MMEX?
Thanks again.