Reconciling Transfers

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

advocas
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Reconciling Transfers

Post by advocas »

If I create a transaction with the type set to transfer between Account A and Account B when I reconcile it in Account A it is also reconciled in Account B.

Is there a way to reconcile transferred transactions independently?

This was already raised in January by someone else but it's under [Outdated]support and hasn't been answered so I thought it was better to raise it here

I'm running MoneyManagerEX v1.2.2 (portable version) on Windows 7  

Jon
Nikolay
MMEX Developer

Re: Reconciling Transfers

Post by Nikolay »

Hi Jon,

It need extra developing. May be extra status may be added like "T" (Transfered but not reconciled). That will mean money gone from  account A but not arrived to account B.
It's quite difficult to implement and I'll prefer to leave it as is.
Or use 2 bytes for status like RR (Reconciled for both accounts).
We can discass here the create feature request here:
http://sourceforge.net/p/moneymanagerex ... e-requests
advocas
New MMEX User

Post by advocas »

Nikolay wrote:Hi Jon,

It need extra developing. May be extra status may be added like "T" (Transfered but not reconciled). That will mean money gone from  account A but not arrived to account B.
It's quite difficult to implement and I'll prefer to leave it as is.
Or use 2 bytes for status like RR (Reconciled for both accounts).
We can discass here the create feature request here:
http://sourceforge.net/p/moneymanagerex ... e-requests
Nikolay

The reason I asked about this is because I reconcile against paper statements which arrive via the post at different times so I never reconcile accounts at the same time.

If it's difficult to implement then I can work around it by creating deposit and withdrawal transactions in each account so that I can reconcile the transactions independently.

Jon  
hocko
New MMEX User

Post by hocko »

I also have the same issue having used MSMoney in the past. It had me confused for a short while and I thought there was a bug in the program when I saw reconcile amount = 0 in one of the accounts. Then I tested it ans saw this problem. It is not insurmountable but it is an issue for the unaware.
As an accountant with 40 years experience, I would suggest that when reconciling, you only work on one account at at time. It should not "R" both  accounts. They are independent.