MMEX: Another company claiming ownership and charging a Fee

General discussion on all other topics under the sun.

Moderator: Renato

stef145g
MMEX Developer
Are you a spam bot?: No

MMEX: Another company claiming ownership and charging a Fee

Post by stef145g »

Hello to everyone in the MMEX community.

We have recieved notification that a rogue company in the UK (Suspected from being from UK as last suffix of url is .UK) has appeared to have made small alterations to MMEX, but is still clearly identified as MMEX, is passing the product off as their own, and charging a fee for the product.

As you are aware, MMEX is free of charge, and we, the developers of this project, past and present, have offered their talents and devotion to the project to improve the functionality over time, and have generally have voluntered their services for free.

As a result We, the developers, do not appreciate others making money from a product that we, as a community have spent years developing. My thanks to anyone who has made a donation to the project, which has been made on a voluntary basis only.

I suggest that you warn others about this problem.
Regards: Stefano
madhan
Site Admin

Re: MMEX: Another company claiming ownership and charging a

Post by madhan »

I have sent the following note in their contact form.

" It appears you are using the MMEX open source software program that I am the original author of and misrepresenting it under your name.

Why are you renaming the MMEX software as your name? Under GPL rules, you are allowed to redistribute or even sell it but you cannot misrepresent the software as your own. The software belongs by copyright to me (the original author) and other contributors under the GPL.

If you wish to sell the software, you can choose to do so but make sure to put the original name of the software (not your name) and a link to the MMEX software website.

Otherwise we have to ask the FSF to send a cease and desist."
MIKWELL614
New MMEX User

Post by MIKWELL614 »

I have contacted this company - http://www.mi-shop.co.uk - who I believe may be trying to sell your software, I asked them for some information of trial (and/or screen shots that could be read properly) but the reply came back that I would have to buy the software in order to try. But they were a very fair company and would refund the money if it was not satisfactory ?????!!
I could be wrong but please look them up and advise.

Michaael
madhan
Site Admin

Post by madhan »

This is the response:

"We have not changed the program itself, so all the credits and links to your
website remain intact, however we do enclose some extra documentation and
provide after sales support for our customers.

Nowhere on our website do we say that it is our software or that we authored
it, we simply describe it for what it is: Personal and Small Business
Accounts software, abbreviated to P.S.B.A.

We have altered the website to say that the CD contains MMEX you can find
the alterations on this page: http://www.mi-shop.co.uk/terms.php"

So I am not sure what else we can do here.
martinaiphs
New MMEX User

Post by martinaiphs »

We have received notification that a rogue company in the UK (Suspected from creature from the UK as the last suffix of URL is .UK) has appeared to have made little alterations to MMEX, but is yet in view of that identified as MMEX, is passing the product off as their own, and charging a cause problems ahead for the product.

As you are aware, MMEX is forgiven of accomplishment, and we, the developers of this project, p.s. and gift, have offered their talents and sticking together to the project to calculation the functionality on top of an era, and have generally have volunteered their facilities for pardon.

As a result of We, the developers, get your hands on not appreciate others making maintenance from a product that we, as a community have spent years developing. My thanks to anyone who has made a donation to the project, which has been made approaching a voluntary basis single-handedly.
Custom Software Development Company, Desktop Application Development, Mobile App Development Company