Add up your debit card expenses

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

xdodo49
Senior MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Add up your debit card expenses

Post by xdodo49 »

I have been using mmex for many years and have always had a great time. I have used gnucash, homebank and kmymoney, but mmex remains my favorite in terms of practicality and ease of use. I am sorry that it has been a long time since it has no new versions, we have been at 1.4 for over a year and it does not seem to me that there is any hope for future versions.
Now a problem arises that I don't know how to solve without making changes to the settings I use: I often use the debit card to make purchases, and this has a monthly spending limit set by the bank. Now I wish I could know how much my monthly expenses are and how much I miss to reach the limit set by the bank. How can I get a report where the debit card entries are reported without having to create new accounts?
siowena
Super MMEX User

Re: Add up your debit card expenses

Post by siowena »

xdodo49 wrote:I have been using mmex for many years and have always had a great time. I have used gnucash, homebank and kmymoney, but mmex remains my favorite in terms of practicality and ease of use. I am sorry that it has been a long time since it has no new versions, we have been at 1.4 for over a year and it does not seem to me that there is any hope for future versions.
Now a problem arises that I don't know how to solve without making changes to the settings I use: I often use the debit card to make purchases, and this has a monthly spending limit set by the bank. Now I wish I could know how much my monthly expenses are and how much I miss to reach the limit set by the bank. How can I get a report where the debit card entries are reported without having to create new accounts?
I am assuming you have an account for the Debit card and have set the credit limit in the account settings.

If you know how to use the Reporting tool built (GRM) into MMEX there are two reports that might help on the reporting github CreditReport & CreditReport2 that might help - they are currently for v1.3.3 but should be easy to change for v1.4.
xdodo49
Senior MMEX User

Post by xdodo49 »

I probably explained myself wrong. (keep in mind that I write in Italian and translate with google)
I give an example.
I have a checking account from which I withdraw cash, make transfers and receive my pension. From this account I do all current operations. Now when I withdraw or pay with the ATM, I have a maximum of spending every month. Conversely, if I pay by bank transfer or withdraw cash at the bank counter, the limit is given by the real availability on the account. My problem is, how do I know when I have reached the predefined spending limit, without having to add the amount from time to time and not make a bad impression at the supermarket checkout because the ATM does not make the payment. I can't find anything to use to get a report that only adds up to the movements that interest me.
xdodo49
Senior MMEX User

Post by xdodo49 »

Problem solved: I had tried to add a progressive number to the field "Number" to a new operation. Unfortunately I have not found a way to put a progressive number (even writing them all separated by a comma) in a field of the search filter of "Operations report" so I tried to insert a word instead of the progressive numbers, in this case " ATM "and the search worked perfectly with the final sum of the total transactions.
I hope this can serve someone else.
Tanker5455
New MMEX User

Post by Tanker5455 »

Grazie mille, this helps me a lot as well! I'm still wrapping my head around certain functions, and this will help me manage debit cards as well.
coronalover
New MMEX User

Post by coronalover »

Unfortunately, I still cannot add my card. Any advises?