Don't understand file system

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

bartimusmaximus
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Don't understand file system

Post by bartimusmaximus »

Ref MMEX 1.3.4 on Mac OS Mojave.

I have a database file, ".emb" with my data (I've called it HomeFin). I have the options set to back up upon program exit, and the max files set to 4.

So, as I understand the documentation, HomeFin.emb should be my CURRENT data, and I should have no more than four dated backups.

I actually have TEN of these dated files from six different dates, and the base file (HomeFin.emb) does NOT contain the latest data. When I start the app, it opens that "last database used" which is one of the dated files. Some dated files have two dates (e.g. HomeFin.emb_update_2020-04-25_update_2020-05-02.emb) and some only have one date (e.g. HomeFin.emb_update_2020-05-02.emb).

So I just don't understand how this is supposed to work and if it works properly. Why so many files? Why doesn't HomeFin.emb have the latest data? Do any of these ever go away? Am I just going to keep building up an infinite number of files with a new "update" being created every time I change something? Can someone explain this file system?

Thanks.
Nikolay
MMEX Developer

Re: Don't understand file system

Post by Nikolay »

HomeFin.mmb should be opened by app during start. All other files should be created as a copy of HomeFin.mmb file when app starts or closed in shadow mode.
The issue like this have been reported several times but I can't realized how it possible.
May be you open newest file by mouse click?
bartimusmaximus
New MMEX User

Nikolay:

When it initially presented the dialog with options, I would select "open last file used". I unchecked that dialog, so now I'm getting whatever MMEX opens as a default.

Could the fact that I'm encrypting and password protecting it make a difference? So I'm using .emb files instead of .mmb?

Bart
bartimusmaximus
New MMEX User

I copied my database to a new file with a new name and started using that copy. It seems to be working normally. Opens the base file and maintains the backups as advertised.