MMEX won't open fully

MMEX4Desktop, incl. Windows, macOS (10.10 or newer), and Most Unix variants using the GTK+ toolkit

Moderator: Renato

Michelle
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

MMEX won't open fully

Post by Michelle »

Win 10, MMEX ver 1.3.5

My computer had an unexpected shutdown a few days ago, and today, when I went to open MMEX, it will not open correctly.

It seems to *think* it opens, because when I try to open the same DB more than once, I get the "Database that you're trying to open has been marked as opened by another mmex user" error. Thinking that might be the problem, I tried all the solutions in this thread (viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9515), as well as all the threads that it linked to. But no joy

I tried restoring a month-old version of the DB from my Microsoft OneDrive account, where it was backed up, thinking the problem was with the DB file. Still won't open.

Since it didn't seem to be the file, I also upgraded to the latest version, downloaded directly from the MMEX homepage. Nada.

When I say it will not open correctly, what I mean is, it will open to the initial splash screen, where it asks you what you want to do. From there it doesn't matter whether I select open last DB, open existing DB, or even create new. I still get the same result (after running through the setup steps when creating new). I'm attaching a screenshot so you can see what the MMEX windows look like when they're "open." See the little blank "window" when I hover over the taskbar icon? That's as close I get to seeing MMEX open up.

Has anyone seen this before?
Attachments
2020-07-24.png
2020-07-24.png (126.24 KiB) Viewed 4299 times
Renato
MVP MMEX User

Re: MMEX won't open fully

Post by Renato »

Probably the icon on the taskbar is a leftover from the old MMEX installation, I would remove it from the taskbar (right mouse button)
if you install MMEX (not the portable version) there is an icon on the desktop, please use it.
Renato Forum Administrator
grumpy
New MMEX User

Post by grumpy »

Michelle,
I assume you did click on YES to the "MMEX Instance Check" box as the reason the setting has has been left on in the first place is due to your crash, if you just hit enter then that could explain things as the default is "NO" i.e. things stay as they were.

Pretty sure what is being checked is held in mmexini.db3 where MMEX keeps defaults and changes you make to those defaults, so options, columns to hide, column width, last database used etc.. A base copy is delivered when you either install MMEX or download the portable version.
Unless you start the program in a special way then mmexini.db3 is common across any database you access be it new or old.

If it still does not work after clicking YES then a quick and dirty solution would be to uninstall MMEX and then re-install it again as that will give you a fresh copy of mmexini.db3 but you will need to reset any local changes made to options etc.
Consuelo70
New MMEX User

Post by Consuelo70 »

Hello,
It's exactly the problem I have met the week before and I have written a post in french. I' m sorry : I cannot write english well. I have uninstalled MMEX and installed it again but the problem goes on. As Michelle, my computer had an unexpected shutdown.
Thanks for answering !
Renato
MVP MMEX User

Post by Renato »

hello Consuelo70
also I am not so saddle-fast in english, so I mostly use https://www.deepl.com/translator even if it is just to check my written contribution.

Maybe deleting the mmexini.db3 will help
Renato Forum Administrator
grumpy
New MMEX User

Post by grumpy »

Hi Consuelo,
Pretty sure that if you install MMEX rather than use the portable version then if the install process finds a version of mmexini.db3 where it wants to put it then it does not replace it which would explain why uninstall/re-install had no effect for you, this allows for upgrades without losing your settings.

For the installed version of MMEX on Windows 10, my mmexini.db3 is in "C:\Users\your_userid\AppData\Roaming\MoneyManagerEx" whereas for the portable version it is in the same folder as MMEX.

Assuming you are using Windows 10 then..
Try....
1. Download the portable version and use that - you will get a fresh default copy of mmexdb3.ini so will have to repeat any local changes you have made to options
or
2. Rename mmexini.db3 in "C:\Users\your_userid\AppData\Roaming\MoneyManagerEx" to mmexini_togo.db3 and try the program again. I have just tried that and MMEX built a new mmexini.db3 from scratch so you will need to make your local changes again but hopefully you will have access to your data.
Michelle
New MMEX User

Post by Michelle »

@Renato & @grumpy

Thank you both so much for your suggestions! I had tried everything you mentioned EXCEPT doing a complete uninstall AND deleting the remaining mmexini.db3 file. That seemed to do the trick!
dbolton
Super MMEX User

Post by dbolton »

@Michelle Glad you found a fix. Out of curiosity, are you using a laptop (or computer) that is sometimes plugged into additional screens? If so, I'm wondering if Money Manager was just off screen in your current setup. If you or others encounter this issue again, check out these instructions: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows ... ard-trick/