Category TAGS

Discuss New Feature Requests and Enhancements to Money Manager Ex

Moderator: Renato

luisdev
New MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

Category TAGS

Post by luisdev »

I have a Quicken database file that contains years worth of data - I have used Quicken (Reckon Accounts) since the 1990's... Now, for various reasons, I'm trying to migrate my Quicken data to Money Manager EX so that I can finally say goodbye to Quicken (Reckon Accounts).

The biggest issue is that I use Quicken Tags extensively in Quicken, so I need a way to replicate that functionality in Money Manager EX.

The viewtopic.php?p=17226&hilit=Tags#p17226 post recommends using Custom Fields to replicate that Quicken Tags functionality. However, I can't find a way to use custom fields in Split Transactions. I want to associate each category and amount in a split transaction with a Tag. How can I do that with Custom Fields?

Thanks
mikhailo2608ilaol
New MMEX User

Re: Category TAGS

Post by mikhailo2608ilaol »

Have you looked at viewtopic.php?p=20290&hilit=custom+field#p20290 ?

If you are saying that you want a unique "tag" for each distinct category in the split transaction then I cannot see how custom fields in MMEX can fulfill that requirement. Custom fields can serve as a proxy for a tag for non split transactions though.

Can you provide more details on how and why you are currently utilizing tags for your purposes in Quicken ? What problem are you trying to solve that the use of tags allows you to solve?
luisdev
New MMEX User

Re: Category TAGS

Post by luisdev »

Thank you @mikhailo2608ilaol.

Yes, I have read that forum message that you linked to.

And yes, "a unique "tag" for each distinct category in the split transaction" functionality is what I am looking for, as per the "Tags" functionality in Quicken.

An example of usage is:
We have two cars in my family, so I have created two Tags to track those two cars: tag "Car X" for the one car and tag "Car Y" for the second car. Yesterday my wife and I filled up the petrol tanks for both cars. I paid for all the petrol on my credit card in one transaction. So in Quicken I created one split transaction with two entries using the "Motor:Fuel" category and sub-category. For the "Motor:Fuel" line I assigned it the "Car X" tag and for the second "Motor:Fuel" line I assigned it the "Car Y" tag.

Doing it this way allows me to create separate reports for "Car X" and for "Car Y", so we can track the expenses for the two cars separately and combined too. In other words I can create a report showing all the expenses for the "Motor:Fuel" category/sub-category - regardless of what car each transaction was linked to. And I can also create a report showing all the expenses for the "Motor:Fuel" category/sub-category for just one car. I can also do full reports for all Motor expenses and, using the Tags, I can seperate the expenses for both cars in one report. This makes reporting quite powerful.

It's the biggest thing holding me back from being able to migrate from Quicken to Money Manager Ex.

Another example of using Tags is for Holiday expenses. I create a Tag for each holiday I go on and assign all the expenses for each holiday to the corresponding holiday Tag. So for my December 2021 holiday I created a tag called "Holiday_2021-Dec" and assigned it to all the expenses that we incurred on that holiday.

So, for example, I use the "Food:Lunch" category:sub-category to track all my normal lunch expenses. By assigning the "Holiday_2021-Dec" tag to all the lunch expenses that we incurred on that holiday I can easily seperate the holiday lunch expenses from the normal day-to-day lunch expenses and I can do combined and separate "Food:Lunch" reports. I need to be able to do that tag assignment in split categories.

I would really love to be able to do that in Money Manager Ex.

Another example of where I used the Tags function in Quicken is for my wedding and honeymoon. Weddings and honeymoons come with all kinds of expenses. Creating tags for "wedding" and "honeymoon" gives you the ability to link all those otherwise unrelated expenses to those wedding and honeymoon transactions. So, for each expense related to the wedding and honeymoon adding the respective "wedding" or "honeymoon" tag to the expense transaction or each item in a split-transaction gives you the ability to create powerful reports that clearly reflect all the expenses for the wedding and honeymoon events.

Another example of Tags usage is for a Salary split transaction. Salary slips usually contain several line items for all the types of income and all the deductions. So, for example, I use a split transaction to record each month's salary. The income categories and sub-categories include: "salary:basic", "salary:commission", "salary:car allowance". The expense categories and sub-categories include: "tax:income tax", "tax:car allowance", "insurance:hospital plan", etc. By creating a Tag for each month, aka Salary2021-01, Salary2021-02, Salary2021-03, etc. I can allocate the respective "Salary..." tag to that month’s salary split transaction. This allows me to create powerful reports that can be aggregate "salary" reports for all dates or can be filtered down to specific months.

The Quicken split transaction window allows you to capture both the Category: Sub-Category for the income/expense item and, optionally, a Tag. See item 4 in the "Instructions" section on https://www.quicken.com/support/record- ... ransaction for an illustration of how the split transaction screen looks in Quicken. So, in Money Manager Ex, we need the equivalent of an additional "Tag" column to be added to the MMX Split Transaction window:

So for this implementation the MMX Split Transaction window would get an additional Tags column: https://ibb.co/t4tRzzL

I haven't been able to make the MMX Custom Fields feature do this in split transactions. Is there another way?