system bug in share accounts

Moderator: Renato

SWPanton
Senior MMEX User
Are you a spam bot?: No

system bug in share accounts

Post by SWPanton »

Hello I have discovered a bug in the program, reported to Michael at Jiosoft
I have set up a pension investment account and a pension cash account.
In the pension investment account I put in an initial number of funds (about 30 and not as individual accounts), unit prices etc etc

I then went to add investments to existing portfolios as per the method advised in the money manager help.

However when you put in the share number (which i presume is the new number of shares purchased) the program overwrites the existing shares already held.
If you put in the new total number of shares, including the new ones bought the program then puts the amount of withdrawal from the cash account as if you have just purchased the total number of shares instead of just the new ones bought. May I suggest the easiest way to rectify this is to allow the amount box to be edited as well as the commission box.

Please may you advise what the lot box is for as this is not something that i have come across in the UK.

In addition when you change the status to reconciled in the add share transaction box the status in the cash account remains as unreconciled and does not change.
regards Simon
Attachments
funds portfolio.pdf
(417.38 KiB) Downloaded 363 times
share transaction.pdf
(127.69 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
SWPanton
Senior MMEX User

Re: system bug in share accounts

Post by SWPanton »

In addition to my previous post I use an apple Macbook Pro and am on version as attached.
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

Post by MartinArmstrong »

@SWPanton

This is the forum for the official Money Manager Ex application.

I'm not sure whether you realise that JioSoft takes the source code of the MMEX software, possibly modifies it, compiles it as their own version, and then charges you for 'their' product.

We have no idea of what version of MMEX the JioSoft version is based on, or what changes they may have made. Certainly the menu bar shown on the JioSoft page is different to that of the 'real' version of MMEX.

JioSoft.png
JioSoft.png (22.94 KiB) Viewed 11968 times

MMEX.png
MMEX.png (21.55 KiB) Viewed 11968 times

You need to get support for your problem via JioSoft.

Alternatively, you could download the current version of MMEX from the official https://moneymanagerex.org website and use that.

Doing this assumes that the database produced by the JioSoft version is compatible with the latest official MMEX version.

If you want to do this but need help, please ask here.
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

@SWPanton

I note that in your second post you said you use a Macbook Pro.

I'm guessing that you downloaded your version of JioSoft Money Manager from mi-shop.co.uk (not jiosoft.co.uk as I first thought) - although they do appear to be the same company; mi-shop sells the version for MacOS, and Jiosoft sells the version for Windows.

What version number does your copy of Money Manager say it is on the Help | About screen please?

Also, can you copy and paste here all the text that it displays on the Help | About | Licence screen please?
SWPanton
Senior MMEX User

Post by SWPanton »

Martin, see attached.

From what you are saying have jo-soft conned me? I did not know there was a free version. all my data is now on the version from jo-soft and they have in their help/community link to this forum so what is going on and have a got a legitimate package or not?
Attachments
money manager 1.pdf
(129.16 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
money manager 2.pdf
(235.81 KiB) Downloaded 326 times
whall3y
MMEX Developer

Post by whall3y »

That is the output from the Jiosoft version you purchased ?

If that is the case then they have just taken the version we freely released and sold it to you. :o

I thought they had at least made changes and repackaged in some way.
Renato
MVP MMEX User

Post by Renato »

The issue of Jiosoft is not new, again and again users fall for it and buy the freeware MMEX.
See: search.php?keywords=jiosoft
Renato Forum Administrator
whall3y
MMEX Developer

Post by whall3y »

Whilst it is not against the GPL licensing rules to re-sell the software in any form I agree there should be an obligation on the re-seller to offer a level of support for the customer post-purchase and I trust that is the case. There is no harm in pointing users to the MMEX forums for community support, but they should be aware of the difference.

I appreciate that some users may take comfort in knowing they have purchased the software with a level of support included. It's up to the user to make the choice.

I'm in dialog with Michael @ Jiosoft/mi-shop and will make him aware of this discussion. I've also asked him to consider making donations to project, but he is under no such obligation.

One way of looking at it I that it is a testament to the developers who have and continue to maintain this project that companies such as this have the confidence to offer it, to customers, as a paid service.
MartinArmstrong
MVP MMEX User

SWPanton wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:48 am From what you are saying have jo-soft conned me?

I did not know there was a free version.

all my data is now on the version from jo-soft and they have in their help/community link to this forum so what is going on and have a got a legitimate package or not?
> From what you are saying have jo-soft conned me?

Essentially, yes, they have conned you and other people to the extent that they are passing off the open-source version of MMEX as their own product (JioSoft Money Manager and Money Manager for Mac) and implying that they update it and provide support (however, it appears that they do not) - and they've enticed you to pay for it.

Their 'Free product updates - for life' and 'Ongoing product support, with no time limit' relies on the 'real' MMEX developers who freely give their time to continue improving this open-source application, and other people who give support in this discussion forum and at https://github.com/moneymanagerex/moneymanagerex/issues.

MMEX is released under the GNU GPL licence so JioSoft/mi-shop are allowed to redistibute the software and they are allowed to charge for it if they wish. It's just not very ethical to claim that it's theirs.

What screen do you see when you select Help | Check for Updates ? Is it exactly like this (except on MacOS):

MMEX Update.png
MMEX Update.png (46.78 KiB) Viewed 11925 times

If so, and if when you click on the 1.5.14 link, you end up here: https://github.com/moneymanagerex/money ... ag/v1.5.14, then you are actually getting your update from the correct location.

It's possible that JioSoft have made some changes to the software, but if you end up at the above github location then JioSoft play no part in the updates. They just took your money for your initial version.

> I did not know there was a free version.

I'm afraid it's a case of buyer beware. It pays to do more research before buying.

> and they have in their help/community link to this forum so what is going on and have a got a legitimate package or not?

It does seem to be a legitimate package, in that it appears from your money manager 1.pdf that you have v1.5.14, which is the most recent stable (i.e. non-development) release of MMEX.

And note that it's not 'their help/community link to this forum'; that link is built into MMEX. I don't think JioSoft provide any support, regardless of what they sneakily imply.

> all my data is now on the version from jo-soft

The good news for you is that it appears that your data is not 'on' the JioSoft version. The .mmb file, which is your MMEX database, looks like it has nothing to do with JioSoft.

Finally, please note that my earlier comments in this thread and other that your started, about the JioSoft version being different or out of date, now appear to be incorrect. I was basing that conclusion on the screenshots they show on their website, which do not match the current version of MMEX.
SWPanton
Senior MMEX User

Post by SWPanton »

Hello Martin and thank you.

I have informed Jo-soft that i don't appreciate being misled as I though the software was purchased from them and they wrote it. This is also miss-representation on their part so yes I would encourage and support Michael making a donation of my fee to you. this was £34.99 by the way.

I have checked the version and as you say after downloading your version they do appear to be the same.

As such it appears the issues I raised may still be relevant in respect of there being a bug as previously described, as well as the other issues.

Please may you confirm as such and also, if you would not mind, confirm whether or not they are going to pay over to you the money I paid them.

regards Simon